Students cheating by sharing drawings

Does Anyone know if there is a way to know who is the original creator of a sketchup file. I suspect a few student are sharing their work with other students

Hi Tim,

What are you using to look at their models? At least in the desktop versions of SketchUp, you could look at Model Info>Credits to see who created it. Or at least who took credit for it.

Almost a neighbor, sir.

hey neighbor (almost)

I using the online version because the students use chrome books. I have a couple students who I suspect are sharing files and would love to have the hard evidence when I confront them.

Can you use SketchUp on a PC or Mac? If so, you could use SketchUp 2020 or even SU2017 Make to examine their models for credits. As far as I can see there’s no way to do that with the web versions.

Thanks for the input
 I am pretty much married to sketchup for schools because students only have access to chrome books
 darn
 thanks again

You can still use SU for schools. You just need a desktop client version to check their work for cheating.

ahhhhhh
 down loading it now
 I will let you know how it works

Shoot
 opened a couple of files. Model info>credits
 all say the same thing
 “author unknown”. worth the try. Thanks again

Maybe checking endpoint locations of randomly created geometry would help in your hunch. No clear evidence but if x,y,z matches all over, you could confront them. Other than that I wouldn’t know.

One option is to require different color swatches by last name - blues A-L, etc

Good thought. but I am assigning specific objects for the student to create right now. I am about 18 drawings into it and I always have them start the object at the origin.

Bummer. I tested my theory by downloading a file I did in SketchUp Web and checking it in SU2020.

Surely students would never be that sneaky?

Actually, we often get posts here by students effectively asking experienced members to do their assignments for them.

If there is anything in the drawing that looks as if it would need experienced input, you could challenge your students to reproduce it for you in class.

2 Likes

If you find any small errors you could compare the files for matching errors. If the files are all perfect then you might be out of luck. Can you post one example file? Someone really savvy might be able to spot a very small error that is not immediately evident. For instance if the students failed to purge the files there would be the same unused materials and components invisibly attached in the file, which would be unlikely to occur naturally.

1 Like

How about getting them to ‘sign’ their models with their copyrighted user-name made with a piece of 3d-text ?
e.g. “©Jim”
At least they’ll have to do that part ??
And you could also ask them to color specific parts of their assignment in colors specified by you - per user ?
Or even with materials named after the user - e.g. Jim_Red, Jim_Green etc

2 Likes

If you have a desktop version, you can download and install this extension:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/28691b5f-d472-4d26-a4d6-0a7c0b8068e0/kg-dev-select-by-id

Every entity has it’s own ID, so you can compare and confront.

2 Likes

This is a good question. When I was teaching with SUfS, all the work was done in class, so I could watch them do the work, but remote learning and homework are a different story. This makes a good feature request for the SUfS team.

1 Like

Hi, I threw together a quick extension to check if two groups/components are geometrically identical. Just load the suspicious work into one file, create groups if necessary, select the two items that you want to compare, and run it. It’s not perfect but it’s something. Good luck:)

https://github.com/rkildare/SU_Cheat_Check/releases/download/V0.1/Cheat_Check.rbz

3 Likes

Does that script just give a binary answer, ie either identical or not? A script that would allow you to compare two versions of a drawing and report on the differences could be generally useful.

It’s binary. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll make one that finds differences but I don’t have time at the moment.