Strange behavoir by editing Groups or Components

For sure it’s not a helpful answer.

It’s great. Many thanks to TIG.
One more plugin to cover the 20,000 listed bugs. Shame to SU.

So is this what you intended? All I did was to move and rotate the rectangles to the front of the cabinet and scale the length to fit. Since it is a component, all instances were fixed at the same time. I still have no idea what you did that provoked that problem, but it is easy to fix.

Hm. Maybe I edited the upper parts seperatly, and the floating parts afterwards. But I still don’t know what made them float. As I said it’s the same component. Why it had to be scaled? The second modification was right behind the first, as soon as I saw it was missing.
… strainge. If you don’t now what happend, how can I?

Thank you slbaumgartner

The instances of the cabinet were individually scaled. In the one I randomly chose to edit, the rectangles weren’t the right size to fit the opening, so after moving and rotating I just stretched them out to match. Because its a component, this caused all the others to fit also.

That’s ok, I understand the behavior of the component/s. But I don’t understand the different behavior between the upper closes made and the floating ones.

Edit:
That’s exactley what happend, only the other way around. I opend one component and all others floated.

The drawer front was added to the wrong component - the outside of a separate, but nearby, component instance - thus the “floating drawer fronts”.

3 Likes

Good find! I suspected that was what happened, but didn’t spot the specific culprit despite looking.

1 Like

Yeah, great, very good, exactly that happen.

How do I know witch one to edit before it happens?
Hm, maybe because the floating ones were scaled to the hight and not unique?

Just by seeing how the floater was oriented and all the cabinet components were oriented, I knew it started somewhere on the lower level.

Being the floater is inside a component wrapper, open any instance of the same component, delete the floater and draw the drawer fronts in the right place.

Take a look at View->Component Edit->Hide Rest of Model and View->Component Edit->Hide Similar Components. By toggling these you can avoid all confusion about whether you are drawing atop the currently open instance or on something else in the model! I have them connected to keyboard shortcuts because it is very frequent that something else gets in the way of what I am trying to edit.

:cold_sweat: Just wanted to solve it and followed your advice.

Now I’m more confused as before…

Error

Image in first post shows the edited component differs to yours.
In your component the drawer front is placed correct according to the component edited.

The confusion is the same as before. You opened for edit the instance over which you originally drew the misplaced front, not the one in which you drew it. Take another look at @catamountain’s figure and open for edit the one marked “The selected component”. Or open any instance, delete the misplaced front and draw it again in the right place.

Sorry, I know how to fix it.
But I don’t know how to keep me off this event.

I learned:

• Adding a part to a component, it doesn’t find it’s position in copied, scaled, rotated uniqes.

Open a component/group to edit. Then go to Window > Model Info > Components and adjust the Fade sliders to suit.

Yet another preference to save in a custom Template.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.