Splitting faces

Hi Everyone this is my first post.
My question is when you use push pull with the modify key press and create a separate surface can you split the two pieces of geometry?

You can. Select only the geometry you want to split off and make it a group or component. Then you can move that object away from the rest. Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish there might be a better way.

gable.skp (354.4 KB)
This is what I’m trying to do, I’m trying to draw a bank of cabinets . I drew a box the length of the space the cabinets occupy, made it a group selected the outer face made it a component, pushed the gable out 3/4" copied the gable and moved it to the opposite face /3 to to make an array. so i want 2 single 3/4" gables on either end and double gables in the middle to be able to split and make individual modular boxes I can explode and create a layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood to calculate material requirements

PS I’m not sure how to load pictures to the forum so I hope the link works.
Thanks

Your model isn’t very well contstructed to start with. Inside the group you have a sort of rectangular tube as loose geometry and a component with a bunch of loose geometry inside it.

You’re going about it wrong if that’s what you want to do. You need to work in a different manner. Draw a case side (I guess you’re calling that a ‘gable’) and make it a component. Then use Move/Copy to make the additional copies.If you are building this as three separate but identical cabinets, model the parts for one cabinet to the dimensions you’d make them in the shop. Make each piece of plywood a component. Once you’ve got the first cabinet module built, you can use Move/Copy to make the additional modules.

Here’s a quick example. I don’t know exactly how you plan to build these cases so I didn’t put a lot of detail in.

And here’s your file with those components.
gable.skp (105.5 KB)

Thank you I appreciate that. So to clarify I am trying to make a kitchen plan and build the cabinets. This is the rough draft and now I want to be able go in and create the gable cleats drawers and doorsnew kitchen.skp (389.1 KB)

So model each part that you would have to make in the shop and make it a component. You can then do as I did in the example and copy the components as needed.

Sounds like you might do well to take a break from the kitchen cabinets and go through the tutorials at learn.sketchup.com to get a good handle on the basics.

Thanks Dave

1 Like