Splitting a model into its parts, and then making a cutlist

Hello!
First time posting here, so I’m not sure what specific category this question falls under, but I just started, a few hours ago, working on my first sketchup model.
I made it by basically making rectangles, and aligning the corners. I made this so I would have a reference for making a table. After finishing, I thought that maybe I could split the parts up into a part list, so I know exactly what to shop for at insert lumber shop here.
I came across custlist, and tried to use it, but I don’t think I’m doing something right. I selected all of my table, and made it a component, and tried importing that into cutlist, and I don’t really see a way to make a part list, unless I’m blind. (possible.)

This isn’t EXACTLY a custlist extension question, because if there is another extension that will do what I want better, I’m open to it, but is there a way to get a part list from what I’ve done? Or will I have to start over and do everything again, but differently?

Table.skp (192.7 KB)

1 Like

Hello. Sorry but yes, you are going to need to start over. Here are some great tutorials to get you started.

1 Like

Well, I appreciate the response. I don’t think I’ll technically need to this time, but those tutorials will definitely help in the future. I wrote down enough of the measurements that I can duplicate it.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of Components and Dynamic Components, they will do what you want, but there is a bit of a learning curve. Good luck!

Two cutlist extensions:
Cutlist
Open cutlist

Another great tutorial The Sketchup Fundamentals. It is interactive and it is from SU.

1 Like

Any Cut list plugin can only only work when your model is divided into parts, each a component or group. It can’t tell from a model (like yours) which is just a bunch of edges and faces inside one component, where the parts are intended to be. That’s why it can’t work for you in this model.

So as suggested above, learn how to make components and use layers properly, and then try Cut list again.

This model is pretty easy to rework into separate components so that you can get a usable cutlist.

You might consider using it as a guide for proper modeling work flow.

3 Likes

These 2 videos could be useful for you.

Dude! You’re my hero.

Wow! Thanks.

(Hey, look a :man_superhero: icon)

:man_superhero:

You should put a ruby over its head and replace your avatar with it.

1 Like

@DaveR, which cutlist plugin did you use for this? Or maybe a better question is, which cutlist plugin is your favorite?

I used and prefer CutList by Steve R in the Extension Warehouse. Simple to set up, straightforward output and dependable.

I know what I’ll be diving into tonight. Great info for us just learning the ropes here.

It’s Friday. Shouldn’t you be diving into a pizza or something? :smiley:
If you’re bored, I did this thing awhile back.

2 Likes

Who says I cant do both?

1 Like

Although I am far from bored, I really should start doing things the right way or in a way that allows for more bells and whistles to be utilized.

Thanks for the info! You Guys Rock!!

1 Like

I have been down the same road you are at and decided that the FREE plug-ins are not all that good for constructing assemblies with many parts. If you going to continue to model parts in Sketchup you need to try using Cut-list Plus which is a very good paid application that you can export parts to from Sketchup. The base version only supports 50 parts however you can break you model into segments to get around this limitation. It is a very useful for optimizing sheet goods and dimensional lumber usage to minimize waste especially if your work with hardwood lumber. It is produced by Bridgewood Design LLC.