Cutting List for cupboard projects

Hi to the Sketchup community. I am still using Sketchup 2014. I am trying to get a cutting list for my projects. Is it possible to do so. If it is would somebody mind explaining to me how to do it. Thanking you all in advance for the assistance.

Yes. It is possible to get a cut list. There are several different extensions available to create cut lists. My favorite is called CutList by Steve R. It’s available in the Extension Warehouse.

Any extension that creates a cut list requires the model to be drawn correctly. Each part you’d make in the shop need to be a component or group. If you’ve drawn your cupboard correctly, a cut list is only a few seconds away. Also, it’s onlly going to be as accurate as your model.

Hi DaveR Ok I found extention warehouse thanks. So everytime I make a component will it be saved there automatically.

I’m not sure what you mean. Each component will be part of the SketchUp file in which you’ve made it. The general procedure for a cupboard might be to draw the left side panel. Make it a component. Copy it to make the right side (and flip it to create a mirrored copy) and then draw the top, make it a component, copy it to the bottom if the parts are identical or draw the bottom and make it a component, and so on.

Remember, each piece you would make in the shop needs to be a component. Otherwise all the parts stick together like you’ve made it out of wet clay instead of wood.

Ok I understand that part. When I go into extention warehouse there is nothing there. Do I have to save my project into extention warehouse or do I have to download Cutlist by Steve R. Hope that makes more sense. What I will do is play around some more and see if i get it right. At least I now where to look now. I appreciate the time you made for me. If I don’t come right would you mind if I ask you again.

You have to install the CutList extension in SketchUp and then run it from the Plugins menu on your saved file.

Feel free to ask if you have questions. It is often useful to see the SketchUp model so we can see what you’re working with. If you are reluctant to share the file publicly, you can send it to me in a private message by clicking on my name and then “Message”.

If you would find it useful, I can set up a “live” demo to show you how this sort of thing works. We’d just have to work out a time.

Ok DaveR. Let me see if I can get this right. My computer was a bit slow there is a lot of things in my extention warehouse now. Let me try first if I don’t come right I won’t mind the help.

1 Like

Hi DaveR. I get an Authentication error when I try to download Stever R. It is now 14:21 by me what time is it by you. Don’t want to keep you up.

SketchUp Help Center User Guides

SketchUcation (free membership)

Before opening either Extension Warehouse or 3D Warehouse, log in using the little man icon, on the lower left of the SketchUp status bar.

Hi there DanRuthbun. I will have to create the login. Never done that before. Would you mind being patient as do that. Thanks

Hi DanRuthbun. It worked. I now have plugins in my menu bar and the cutlist is in there. Does it now update automatically as I work.

Sorry. I was away from my desk.

You run the cutlist after you’ve drawn the cupboard. It will then list the parts and their dimensions.

No. You must run the cultist extension each time. It wil automatically list all in the current selection or offer to select all non-hidden if nothing is selected.

Thanks Dave. Got it up and running now. Got to change the measurements to mm now. I have to thank you guys for the help. This was an amazing experience. Going to play around with it now and get to know it. Thanks again all. Don’t be surprised if you hear from me again.

thanks Slbaumgartner. It all helped a lot

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.