Some texture material stay present in hidden lines mode

Hi folks,
In a model I discover that some textures are shown in hidden line mode. this shoudn’t be. only images should appear in hidden line mode.
I don’t know how I got that ? ! ? and I can’t reproduce it.
I can edit the image without loosing the visibility of it after saving. It continue to work if I duplicate the materiel.

I’m wondering how it works, because in some case it is usefull to have a nice simple white drawing with some textured parts. and on the other hand, it have tricked me when I wanted to get a white model while some textures were still present (I hade to rebuild this materials).

here is an image of what happens.

if someone can help me ? thanks.

Can you share the .skp file that shows this?

What version of SketchUp are you using? Please complete your forum profile.

Hi DaveR,

here is the model :
texture matters in hidden line mode.skp (5.7 MB)

I’m going to complete my profile.

Thanks for updating your profile and for sharing the model. It helps. It’s odd that the material doesn’t show in the In Model materials but it does show as a front face material in Entity Info when you drill into the surface.

How did you put that image in as a texture?

for the portrait I’m quite sure it came from an image.
for the roof I don’t remember.

Do you have that image somewhere on your computer? It looks like it might be called natte.jpg.
Screenshot - 11_6_2020 , 7_15_43 AM

I found a way to pry the image out of your model. Let me see if I can sort it out.

here is the image :
natte

Thanks. I did figure out how to get it out of your .skp file. I saved the image out and then imported it as a texture (File>Import…) and applied it to a face. Then I reapplied it to the canopy. Notice that the texture now shows in the In Model materials and it behaves as we would expect in Hidden Line. The .skp file is included.

It’s very puzzling. I’ve never seen that before. I would expect an image to be either a texture and shown In Model or an Image. I’m going to say you weren’t holding your tongue right when you added that texture to your model. I think it’s as good a reason as any. :wink:

texture matters in hidden line mode.skp (5.7 MB)

thank you DaveR.

my tongue or behaps the way I clicked on the ok button ?

anyway, I keep this material preciously in my library so I can edit it and re-use it in some particular cases.

1 Like

This must be a bug. I found a way to reproduce it:

• I imported an image.
  • Then I drew a face, selected it and the image and made them into a component
  • I select the paintbrush tool and alt-click on the image in the component
    Now I can use it to paint anything with a material that doesn’t show in the materials browser.
1 Like

Is this a question?

You can save that material if you want for later use.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought to do that.

no, it wasn’t a question DaveR.

perhaps it happens the way Anssi describes.
I’m using a lot of components, saving them on the disk and replacing thems by newer versions in the original model.

OK. I figured you might want to save it as a texture for later use so you don’t have to import it each time you want it.