Some cool examples of my own

That’s correct. As I said before, the watermark and its display state are style properties.

So, what I see coming on the horizon is, if, after making 6 or whatever different styles (of some starting style) just with different watermarks, you want to go back and, say, want to bump up the line weight of profiles, you would have to visit each copy of the style and perform the same edit 6 or more times. Cascading Style Sheets were invented for that kind of thing, but I’m not sure such a feature is worth the trouble from the developer’s point of view.

Yes. I wonder if it would be possible to write a script that would allow one to make the same edit to multiple styles in one step.

That’s a thought.

Rob, Great! Thanks a lot!
I have to test it out be myself. I also think I must check out Vray now.

1 Like

So here’s what the flood waters look like now.

It still needs symbolic flood plane elevations and boundary lines.

3 Likes

https://www.geometryengineering.com/tender-supprot

Lumion / Twinmotion have some nice ways to visualize flood zones, as seen here in this example:
if you go to 2:15

3 Likes

Far out! They modeled the construction phase of work including all the Facilities and Temporary Controls. Very interesting use of SketchUp.

impressive… I hope they won the bid, couldn’t have been cheap

I’ve been doing an increasing number of SketchUp projects for hire for other architects recently. This one forced me into the classic task of modeling some kind of surroundings and using a renderer. For my own projects, I obviously like Match Photo, but that wasn’t an option here. The only renderer I have to work with as yet is SU Podium. The results aren’t bad, but I still feel the need to get better. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Technical notes: Project uses new Marvin Modern product line. It’s so new, I had no literature, but Marvin already put DC components in 3D Warehouse. Boy, that made my day! Sky dome, Podium Physical Sky, 2D panoramic backdrops all used to aid reflections in the glass. At the end, I took line and outline output and composited them with the rendering in Photoshop. We ended up liking that look the best.

Straight Renderings:

Renderings with linework composited back in:

9 Likes

I love your gallery. I always hit a speed bump when I have to put in background (primarily plants) on renders…

Have to say, on some of your match photo pictures, I am looking at it and thinking, but where’s the SketchUp? It’s interesting, that especially in the shadow facades, you can get pretty realistic look from the model it’self. Very well blended and accurately positioned examples!

The latest renderings are very attractive.

4 Likes

Very nice! I like the Composition with the linework a lot!
I do Renderings with Lumion, but I am still interested in Renderingplugins within SketchUp. Could you tell us a little about the Renderspeed (and the specs of your machine)? And - did you render Interiors with Podium? I know that Interiors take a lot longer.

1 Like

Here’s a look at the environment around the building. It creates the background and reflections.

Basic default renderings take 7 to 15 minutes, but up the settings to something better and it takes more than 2 1/2 hours. I’m still dragging my feet on an old 2012 MacBook Pro. This was just for the exterior. There are just basic walls inside with no detail.

4 Likes

Well, I’ve recently been informed I will be speaking at 3D Basecamp 2020 on the subject of Matchphoto. Don’t know any details yet, just the subject.

I’m constantly learning, so here are some materials from a current work in progress:

Matchphoto process using the barn as a reference:

Inserted model without textures:

Matte shot straight out of SketchUp (no Photoshop for this one):

20 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Looks fine!

1 Like

these are handy

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I’ll give it look.

…and a view from inside looking out. Not the most polished render, this is an experiment in bringing my current work flow for real-world interiors photography to the digital model rendering workflow. The key is multiple exposure bracketing and Photomatix Pro 6 HDR software. It’s promising, but I have a long way to go to master rendering.

This is three separate renders done in SU Podium stitched together with Photomatix Pro 6 using the Interior 3 preset plus processing in Lightroom.

6 Likes

I need to be prepping a lot of case studies for presentation, and I’d like to test methods of posting animation.

This model is probably my quickest and dirtiest Match Photo model done for a prospective client first meeting. I took pictures walking around the house with a contractor friend, and, without taking any measurements, went home and pulled the tax card for the property from the public database.

4 Likes