Sleepless Night

Beautiful. Lacks only the smell of hot grease.
It is probably an optical illusion, but is the part I outlined in red rotating faster than the rest of the camshaft?

Thank you. Weren’t we promised smell-o-vision back in the 1960s?

It’s an optical illusion from the sketchy line style. The shaft, eccentric, and all of the big end including the flywheel are a single nested component so it all rotates as one.

1 Like

Way cool animation … hypnotic :+1: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I had to add a cut-away view to the animation.

4 Likes

Very cool model and animation Dave. Was it done natively (with scenes), or did you use Fredo’s Animator?

Thanks. All natively done.

3 Likes

Experimenting with a bit of simple rendering to get soft shadows. I wasn’t interested in making a photo-realistic image, though.

I shared this elsewhere and I was asked how I made this image so I made the following to show what I did. The top two images are direct exports from SketchUp. I used SketchUp’s sun for the light source for the AO renders and just changed the date and time in the renderer for the second render. A clay render with a single light source renders in less than 30 seconds. All four images were combined in the image editor with the Blend Mode for the top three layers set to Multiply. The only other adjustment in the image editor was to reduce the opacity of the Hidden Line image layer to lighten the linework slightly. It’s a very fast and simple process. Click on the picture for a bigger version.

15 Likes

How do you check if it’s printable, please?

Sorry, what is an AO render?

This is the look I am after too…I would like to learn photorealistic renders too, but usually prefer the more graphic style.

Is the ambient occlusion I am missing from SketchUp…

Where did you generated those images, please? Not quite understood what you meant in the text above …

Great image Mr Dave. Cool to see your post pro process. :+1:

How it the too geometry is joined with the handle, please? It’s nice and smooth…

Is there away to show the actual welding line…??? I remember a video from TheOnlyAaron on that…but there might be another way…

DaveR,

Picture a foot race; we’re running behind you. It is tough to keep your pace.
We are trying. not out of breath yet.

I enjoy seeing your work and exploring your techniques.
Thanks for all your work, help and inspiration.

Basically it means that every component is recognized as a solid by SketchUp and thus should be 3D printable.

Ambient Occlusion.

That’s generally done by a rendering application. I have V-ray and Kerkythea. Usually use Kerkythea because I find it simpler to use for what I want to do.

The two grayscale images are renders from Kerkythea.

Thank you sir.

I’m not sure what you are referring to. Can you be more specific?

It is possible to model a weld bead. Aaron’s method is probably best for that.

Thank you!

1 Like

15 Likes

Ooo! Next up a chain mail vest?

1 Like

Oww. Careful tracing of the contour, follow-me and a bit of fredo corner to make the end caps round ?
(looking at it, that’s how I would attack it, if not, I’m curious to read your process!)

Nope! No tracing of anything. No FredoCorner, either. I drew a path with the native Line and Arc tools, Follow Me to extrude, Arc on the end and Follow Me to create the dome.

The image was imported and stood up in the background for reference for the dimensions so I didn’t have to look at my other display.

3 Likes

yes, I realise now that tracing means “tracing on top of the picture” in english. I meant what you sait, tracing lines and arcs using the measurements.

I’ve been using Fredo corner for a few years now, it’s funny how it has altered my approach, your method makes sense.

This is just… amazing.
By natively done, do you mean making versions of the model to simulate the incremental movements of the mechanisms? Or am I missing a technique with movement and animation?

Just amazing.

I mean that I made copies of the components that move in the animation and adjusted their position as needed. The copies were given tags and scenes were created showing different tags. In this case there are 24 scenes and 24 tags for the moving components.

1 Like