SketchUp to LayOut issue

There are paid members who will have a badge like this next to their name.
image_2021-07-04_193022
Anyone else like me or Dave are just SU users.

1 Like

I may have a different take on some of the questions, or will say something similar to Dave.

Q2: When you are in the File/Insert file dialog, anything listed that is in gray is a file that LayOut canā€™t insert. Image files, and SketchUp files, should not be in gray.

Q1: This can be tricky. Sometimes you have been innocently looking through the file, not done any changes you want to keep, then get a crash. When you reopen LayOut, or SketchUp, in the welcome screen you see the Recovered version of the file, which you donā€™t need. You may also see the saved version next to it. Other times you have done some worthwhile changes since the last save, for those cases you probably will want the recovered file.

What you can do is click to open the Recovered version in either of those cases. When you do that, you will see a message asking if you want to open the Recovered version or the last saved version, and you will see thumbnails of both. Then you can decide which you want. If you choose the last saved version you will see another message saying that the recovered version will be deleted. That is quite likely what you would want to do, to get back on track with working on the last saved file.

What Dave says is a good idea if youā€™re not positive about whether you have made any worthwhile changes since the last saved version.

Q3: Do what Dave says.

Q4: There are two dialogs that you may see after a crash, one that appears soon, that is full of lines of code. Thatā€™s from Apple, and it might help them to know why macOS crashed. Then there is another one when opening LayOut again. That will be a ā€˜BugSplatā€™ dialog, and it asks for notes about what you were doing at the time, and a field for your name and another for your email. That report comes back to us, and if you have filled in your details we can look at the report to get extra clues as to why LayOut or SketchUp crashed. The majority of Mac crashes in the last year have been because the application wasnā€™t being run from the right location.

Your screenshot shows that you have the SketchUp 2021 folder in the right place, and hopefully did run it from inside the Applications/SketchUp 2021 folder. If you clicked on a SketchUp or LayOut icon that was in your Dock, that may be pointing to an older version of the app.

Last thing, about:

The image is from my 2D scale figure, you can find it in the warehouse by searching for ā€˜Colin face meā€™. The shield icon shows that Iā€™m a moderator in the forum. The next part is the title I choose to show, and I have a few of those to pick from, including SketchUp Sage. I have it set to SketchUp Team so that you know I do work for SketchUp. Plus, the scholarā€™s cap icon is saying that Iā€™m a Sage anyway.

Important thing to know is that Iā€™m not paid to answer questions in the forum. I even will have to try not posting too much during the working day, Iā€™m supposed to be doing quality assurance tasks! But in the evenings and weekends Iā€™m on my own time, and can then take longer to help answer questions.

1 Like

Files that are not downloaded from the iCloud location have a cloud icon beyond them.
Better make sure they are on your machine in a folder that doesnā€™t get synced automatically.

That the file is only on iCloud does not make it be grayed out in the Insert file dialog. And selecting and inserting the file does go ahead and download the file locally, before inserting the local copy.

1 Like

Hi Colin / Mike,

Thank you so much for your help.

There was one thing which helped.
I opened the filed which I couldnā€™t have insert as it was grey, as saved it under different name, and it helped :+1:

Thanks for the update. I wonder if some of the files had lost their .skp extension?

Not sure. It was still showing its a SketchUp model file.
Anyway, glad I helped.

I have now other issue with resizing, even I have ā€™ preserve scaleā€™ option thicked, there is an issue. I checked the forum but didnā€™t find anything which I can relate. I might create a new post