SketchUp steadily ramping memory after installing the driver for 3Dconnexion’s SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse

SketchUp is steadily ramping up memory after installing the driver for 3Dconnexion’s SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse. Eventually, an error message appears saying, “Your system has run out of application memory.” I have 8GB of RAM on my Mid 2010 iMac running OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) and using the latest versions of SketchUp (15.3.329) and 3Dconnexion’s driver (10.2.3) for SpaceNavigator. I know SpaceNavigator is part of the problem; because, when I tried reinstalling SketchUp to fix the problem, it did fix the problem until I then reinstalled the driver for SpaceNavigator, and the problem resumed.

As I type this with SketchUp open, already SketchUp is using almost 2 GB of memory according to the Activity Monitor and still climbing… Now over 4 GB.

Can you rollback the driver ?

I unknowingly had two instances of the 3Dconnexion folder in Applications: 1 of the instances within the utilities folder in Applications. When attempting to fully uninstalling the driver, I must have left some files that were then duplicated in different locations when reinstalling, causing conflict — my self-diagnosis for all it’s worth. After making sure everything was deleted in both locations and then reinstalling the driver, everything seems to check out now.

2 Likes

I hope that’s the fix! I’ve got a couple of cases I can test this theory with.
fingers crossed

I just worked on a system that was having a SketchUp memory leak to the tune of 48 GB (you read that right) of memory usage. We removed the 3DxSketchUp files and folders and everything went back to normal. I am attempting to find a contact at 3DConnexion that I can share this information with. Hopefully they can find a solution to include in their next driver / software release.

1 Like

I’m glad someone from the team is trying, as we mere mortals who see this issue have tried contacting 3DConnexion for years and have been met with silence! Maybe you will carry more weight?

3 Likes