Sketchup screen empty (mac)?

Thank you. At least a developer witnessed the issue him/herself. Hopeful it gets fixed soon before my 30 day trial ends, which I haven’t been able to utilize with iPad sidecar.

However, I’m not sure what you mean by the workaround. Are you saying there is a way to use SKP on both MBP and iPad screen currently?

Yes. In Displays, Arrangement, check the box for Mirror Displays. You should now be using SketchUp ok, and seeing it on the iPad as well. Now uncheck Mirror Displays, and the SketchUp window should continue to behave correctly.

do they use the same screen resolution?

I have found out since that the issue may be more to do with which monitor is the primary one. A developer sees the same issue with a docking station, where he has the internal MacBook Pro screen, and an external portrait monitor. SketchUp opened up on whichever is the primary monitor works fine, but if the window is dragged to the secondary monitor the updating stops working. I think the same is true for AirPlay screens.

In both of our cases the two screens are very different resolutions.

OpenGL is not a simple thing…

Colin,
Just to better understand using SketchUp with a MBP and an iPad in Sidecar mode. If I want to use the MBP as my primary screen for modeling, with control via a three button mouse, and an iPad as a screen for trays. Will that setup work without issues ?

Zaz1

1 Like

If you try it, you will possibly be the first one to know. BTW, trays are a Windows thing.

Anssi,
Thanks for the correction on Mac terminolgy. I am looking to display the various inspection windows ,which I dock together, on the iPad and the modeling space on the MBP.
Maybe below screenshot will help. I believe @colin has expertise in Sidecar mode with MBP but the three button mouse control (from the MBP) may be the sticking point.

Did you try it? One of the best ways to find out if something works is to give it a try, yourself.

2 Likes

Aaron,
I currently dont own an iPad to be able to try it. My question was posed because I would like to know if this works before purchasing. I was hoping someone on the forum has used this configuration.

Zaz1

It does work well. You can operate the windows on the iPad with an Apple Pencil.

But, there is only one cursor. If you use Pencil to operate a palette on the iPad screen, you’re then looking at mousing all the way back to the main screen to work on the model.

Thanks Colin. My intention is to use the iPad to gain a little more modeling space on the MBP using it like an additional monitor. I expect to use only a three button mouse connected to the MBP. If so, will I be able to perform the modeling on the MBP screen and seamlessly move the cursor to the iPad screen to control the docked windows ?

Yes, that will work.

Thanks Colin.