SketchUp runs slowly in Windows 10, any ideas?

See the new split-off topic:
[Win] Setting Preferences > OpenGL switches off via batch script

DanRathburn:

Thanks for the reply. Worked

Thanks

Bud

I’m using Win 10 and SketchUp now without trouble. Windows 10 has a lot of “overhead” which is typical of Microsoft. We used to write a file in MS Word and save it under Windows 98 or any older Operating System then re-save the same file under the latest Windows OS (I was a software tech at Compaq computer co) and compare saved file sizes. The newer OS file sizes are always much bigger, more than twice the number of KB’s. That’s because MS always lets their marketing department cut deals with other companies who then decimate the new OS with their ‘add-ons’. Facebook, twitter, get rid of it all. There are a dozen other ‘services’ that are basically tethers to your wallet, offering services that have monthly costs associated.

When installing the OS, un-check or skip everything that’s not related to building a house. You can ruin the installation process, MS tries to trick you into installing things so get ready for a few adjustments. It’s good to have two computers, I bought a really nice HP Elite (their mobile workstation) that was 8 years old for $200. It has Windows 7 Home Pro on it and my main machine, a Dell desktop now has Windows 10. When one crashes, it’s much easier to recover with both available.

Trouble with two computers is the filing system nomenclature. It’s very difficult to remember where everything is when you have two file directories, one on each machine. Naming conventions become critical and it’s easy to have two files with the same name it gets very un-productive. I suggest you think about how to name files so what’s in them is obvious, regardless of where they reside. Matt Donley’s book emphasizes organization and the more I study of his coursware, the more I realize how true it is. My problem with SketchUp is that I’m always ‘hopeful’ some process will ‘work’. It always works if you know the routine and you navigate through the program with confidence. Through good organization, you can execute with military precision, few or no surprises and under control. Windows 10 works very well once you learn about, find and throw out all the ‘free loading’ programs and ‘apps’.

My 3d Connexion space navigator (I can never remember which one I have, they have about three with names derived from the same four words, a good case of poor naming) accepted a driver upgrade, I don’t know if it was Wind 10 related or just overdue. The Dell ‘Mini-wi-fi adapter’, which is a USB antenna for the wi-fi did not and will not support Windows 10 which pissed me off. Solution there was to hard wire the Dell desktop with a Cat5 cable directly to the router. Internet speed went up to 250 mbs range but I lost mobility which I don’t care about for this desktop machine. Besides, I still have the HP Elite laptop for mobility. (And my wife just gave me her old i-pad)

Believe me, all this device connection business is a lot easier than it was 15 years ago.

We’ve been using ClassicShell on our two Windows 8.1 notebooks to add back in a Windows 7-like StartMenu (along with other goodies.) The newest version 4.2.4 supports Windows 10. I will likely also install it on my Windows 7 notebook as it’s user options put the out-of-the-box MS StartMenu to shame.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I’ve seen pics of the Win10 StartMenu and it really isn’t. (It’s looks like a quarter-size Win8 startpage.) When I am forced to upgrade to Win10, I will absolutely run ClassicShell on it. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps trying to push these “active” mobilish tile interfaces upon desktop users.

If you don’t know about it, the Win-X menu is convenient and useful.

Yes, I know about that, and ClassicShell can work without taking that away. (Full control over what mouse buttons & modifier keys display what menu.)

Yes, touch screens and everything they do is counter productive. They’re for teenage gossipers, not accurate production environments. Just touching any screen is counter to what it’s for.