SketchUp Pro Trial software crashes on loading

Anyone know how to fix this issues?

The typical reasons for this are that SketchUp was not installed correctly. It must be installed by right clicking on the installer and choosing Run as administrator.

The other common reason is that the graphics drivers aren’t up to the task. Intel graphics are well-known for lack luster OpenGL support. You might try updating the GPU drivers and see if that helps.

Tried Reinstalling twice and running as administrator. Still getting bug splat for SketchUp and Layout crashes when opening. The laptop runs the latest version of Catia with no problems so I would have thought the graphics are up to the task.

To be clear, did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator? Or did you log in as the system administrator. You must do the first, not the second.

Did you try updating the graphics drivers? Or did you just assume they were fine since Catia runs?

I did the first option.

No IT wouldn’t upgrade the drivers. I use SketchUp Make 2016 with no problems.

Open SketchUp 2016 and go to Window>Preferences>OpenGL. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned on? Or is it turned off?

Turned on.

update the video driver of your intel HD 4600.

All Graphics drivers are up to date and still have the same problem.

I have tried on a different more powerful PC and this also has the same problem. Graphics drivers on both machines are the same.

I can only assume that Intel graphics HD 4600 is not compatible with the latest versions of SketchUp.

SU v2017 intoduced an enhanced system requirement concerning the OpenGL version required as well as the supported range of OGL functions delivered by the graphics card driver. Additionally, the ability to disable the OpenGL hardware acceleration (= GPU) in the preferences or using a 32-bit version for being more compatible with graphics card driver versions (regularly req. for AMD Radeons) was removed.

Be aware, that 3D modeling on systems with shared/lame/cheap low-end video sub-systems is never a good idea anyhow and shouldn’t be blamed to the professional software but to the unprofessional hardware surely fine for office/video/internet but not for demanding 3D applications.

You might want do a fallback to the less demanding SU version 2016, for buying a SU Pro license of this dedicated predecessor contact your local reseller or Trimble.

Its a shame that they would develop a software that is not compatible with a popular hardware. The equipment used is mid range and supports a range of 3D modelling software with no problems at all, programs which are more complex than sketch up.

However demanding sketch up may be, it seems to work on an old less advanced Intel graphics card which does not have the latest driver. So I wouldn’t blame the hardware I am trying to install it on to be too unprofessional or cheap, more so that sketch up simply hasn’t made it compatible.

Again, a shame as this would have been good for the business. But not worth the hassle of obtaining a new graphics card which is compatible. If it was not up to the challenge of running SU that would be different.

I think computers works like that.
There are lot of facts in a computer that can make a software doesn’t work correctly.
About Intel Cards they can be as much as popular as you want but that doesn’t make them better.

People here only try to help you, there is probably something wrong in your computer or some kind of incompatibility, it can be hardware and software you can try Trimble Identity to test if it covers your needs.

EDIT: I bet SketchUP developers make a stronger effort to make their software as compatible as possible, but not all computers have the same hardware neither operating system, not all of them has the same software, security updates, drivers version, and other programs that has modifed your system and in consecuence make it crash.

I guess if you pay for a license maybe you can ask for a kind of more detailed support, but I cannot garantee it works that way.

However I have an i-5 4460 with a intel Graphic Card 4600 (besides my GTX 750Ti), I think it works.

Apparently the latest driver version of 4600 isn’t compatible with my PC. So I guess there isn’t much I can do.

What I meant with my last post is that computers stink pretty often.

Who’s the fault? sometimes hardware, sometimes software, sometimes some kind of incompatibility.

I paid for my Windows 10 license trying to avoid unwanted behaviors but there are still some programs which tell me: “not responding” or “the program was closed unexpectly”

So I know it’s very frustrating and I know in another computer probably won’t happen.

I’ve never had a Mac OS but I guess there are so many people happy with them because they’re probably more stable because they know what hardware they’re working on.

Intel graphics drivers are well-known to be lacking in adequate OpenGL support. This affects more than just Sketchup. They update drivers frequently, though. Things seem to change in the drivers with respect to OpenGL. Trying previous drivers is an option or possibly the next driver will offer better support.

nVidia graphics cards have historically maintained much better OpenGL support and have always been recommended for use with SketchUp as well as many other programs that rely on OpenGL.

It’s unrealistic to expect and impossible for the SketchUp team to chase graphics driver changes. With all the different graphics cards and the frequency of driver updates, they could never keep up. They selected a graphics standard to work to. It’s the drivers that need to meet those standards.

a GPU integrated in the CPU and sharing the working memory with it is low-end by design and because of it’s sluggishness and unreliable OpenGL support neither meant nor suitable for using with demanding 3D applications, at least if a fast and mature performance in a professional usage case is desired.

2 Likes

can you elaborate the range of more complex 3D modelers used.

Might be. It seems that that at least for a large part that is where things are going. Those Surface Pros and Lenovo Yogas may have powerful processors but I have read of very few if any touchscreen computers that have other than Intel graphics.

systems for office/internet/video don’t need to be suitable for 3D applications, new models based on the Max-Q design by nVidia seem to be fast and slim too:

and touch screens don’t make much sense for 3D modeling anyhow, at least to me.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.