Repetitive crashing of SketchUp Pro newly installed in Win 8.1 x64

I have just installed SketchUp Pro in a new computer (ThinkPad X1, Win 8.1) and it crashes every few minutes. I used it very happily in December/January on my previous computer - no problems of any kind. On trying to use it today, it crashes with no consistent action - sometimes just moving the mouse to the edge of the window, sometimes selecting a tool, sometimes all by itself while I was looking elsewhere. Uninstalled and reinstalled but no improvement. Help?

All the Thinkpad X1 models I found had Intel HD graphics and no Nvidia or AMD graphics card. Traditionally, Intel HD graphics don’t support OpenGL well, and therefore do not work well with SketchUp.

You could try looking for an upgrade to the graphics driver.
If that doesn’t help, you might have to turn off OpenGL Hardware Acceleration (Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL). This will slow down zooming and orbiting in larger models, but you should be able to work.

Anssi

I think you are right Anssi. I have the latest Intel graphic driver. Shutting off the hardware acceleration seems to have solved the problem. I’ve been able to keep the program open through several tasks now - “fingers crossed”!