Sketchup Pro crashing every 5 minutes on MacBook Pro

Hi all, my first time posting and I am no technical but use SketchUp Pro for Interior Design purposes. It has been continuously crashing (every 5 minutes or so) for the last 2 days. I have done all the things suggested in other threads, (turn off Autosave, turn off extensions, uninstall-reinstall, and nothing is working), it’s driving me mad. I have monitored activity and I have memory is not a problem, only roughly 3% being used at any one time. Only thing I that is different this end is I did upgrade OS to Ventura last Friday and wonder if it is this it. Help please!

When you reopen SketchUp, do you see a bugsplat window? If you do, could you send in one of them?

No, it doesn’t crash like that. I get a circle of doom and have to force quit, I can send in one of the Apple reports it generates, I must have a hundred by now!

I followed the instructions given to someone in Sep 22 with the same issue but nothing worked

Have you noticed what you had done before it locks up?

I think mainly navigating, switching from ‘o’ to ‘h’ but has also happened when I have gone to scale something or move it. When I try and move things, the mouse is lagging too so I end up with it wizzing around the space. It seems really hard to get it on an axis at all or to grab a corner point.

Do you have AutoSave on?

If the file is big and AutoSave is set to save every 5 minutes, it is normal that you get the spinning beachball. SU might be saving a huge file and seems to be blocked. Have you tried waiting a minute of two to see if the save ends eventually?

How big is that file ?

Can you purge it ?

I had this problem a while ago, but it was due to a plugin, it wasn’t optimized for the arm architecture and caused the crashing, I just uninstalled and since then it works fine, also updated to macOS Ventura and haven’t had any problems.

1 Like

Already tried of all that thank you

Ah that’s interesting thanks, I don’t know if I have any plugin’s as I always download and reconfigure furniture from the warehouse. If something from there came with a plugin this could be the problem, do you know how I find out?

I think mainly navigating, switching from ‘o’ to ‘h’ but has also happened when I have gone to scale something or move it. When I try and move things, the mouse is lagging too so I end up with it wizzing around the space. It seems really hard to get it on an axis at all or to grab a corner point.

It is impossible for a SKP model file to come with an embedded extension or plug-in. So there is no risk that downloading and opening a model from the 3D Warehouse would install a SketchUp plug-in.

Thanks, that’s not the problem then! Still no idea what is though - am hoping Colin from Sketch Up comes back to me today

The furniture you reconfigure, are some of those Live Components?

When you say o and h, I guess you mean orbit and pan. The shift key will let you toggle between those briefly.

Do you have Edges showing on your model?

One was, it was some flames for the fire but I wondered if this was the issue so deleted and then purged.
Yes Orbit and pan. With regards to edges, I had them switched off and have just turned them back on and back edges were visible too. I have turned off back edges. Do you think this could have been it?

Edges being turned off would stop a lot of inferencing from working. It shouldn’t cause any crashes.

Well interestingly since I turned off back edges, I haven’t crashed once, the navigation to move and scale is still a be tricky but I am using the arrows to lock axis and this seems to be getting round it. Thank you for your help. I’ll keep open for another 24 hours to be sure and if I don’t crash in that time will say issue is resolved.

Do you have profiles turned on. These can consume a lot of resources and slow down orbit, pan and zoom. Try turning profiles off in Styles to see if this makes any difference.

1 Like

Try uninstalling all of your plug-ins, then quit the program and see if it works, if it does, install your plug-ins one by one quitting the program every time until you find the plugin that’s causing the crashing.

I suspect this is just a bloated model issue.
You mention that it doesn’t crash to bugsplatt, rather it gets the busy circle and you force close.
You appear not to have installed any plugins, unless your understanding of them is different.
You mention downloading things from the warehouse and things lagging.
So it sounds like you have downloaded lots of highly detailed models that are simply overloading your model making your computer struggle to display everything.

2 Likes