SketchUp Pro 2020 and macOS Big Sur 11

Our preliminary testing of SketchUp 2020.1 on the second developer beta release of macOS Big Sur (11.0) is complete. We have uncovered some minor UI-related issues with SketchUp and LayOut, and are investigating possible solutions. As with all pre-release software, we recommend that users exercise caution when upgrading their systems to Big Sur.

Known Issues

SketchUp

• Toolbar icons/buttons sized incorrectly
  • Texture Palettes not visible in Materials window
    Workaround: resize the materials window
  • Checkbox obscured on section plane dialog

LayOut

• Toolbar icons/buttons sized incorrectly
  • Inspectors render on top of other applications
    Workaround: hide LO app icon in dock
  • Image Palettes and Pencils not visible in Colors window
5 Likes

:grinning: good

:grin:. Is the ipad pro support in the pipeline? The web version works but it is buggy and im unable to zoom and pan with the scroll wheel with it. Thanks!

In the iPad settings, search for ‘top level’. Go into the customize top level menu settings.

I have a three button mouse on order, the Magic Mouse I have doesn’t have a middle mouse button or scroll wheel to configure. But I have read articles where someone used the accessibility options to configure the middle mouse button. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will work with the web version of SketchUp! I will know more on Wednesday, when the mouse arrives.

I can’t tell you about iPad Pro support, other than it definitely on the list of requested features. I would worry though that if middle mouse button cannot work in the web app, it may not work in any app.

1 Like

| colin SketchUp Team
September 13 |

• | - |

In the iPad settings, search for ‘top level’. Go into the customize top level menu settings.

I have a three button mouse on order, the Magic Mouse I have doesn’t have a middle mouse button or scroll wheel to configure. But I have read articles where someone used the accessibility options to configure the middle mouse button. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will work with the web version of SketchUp! I will know more on Wednesday, when the mouse arrives.

I can’t tell you about iPad Pro support, other than it definitely on the list of requested features. I would worry though that if middle mouse button cannot work in the web app, it may not work in any app.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yeah i tried mapping the wheel button to no avail. I also dont understand why the second-level right-click pop up list doesnt show (i dont know what it is called) - the scenario being trying to flip my geometry to horizontal but it doesnt show a pop up menu for that when i right-click. Seems like it is not the time for the ipad yet :frowning: anyway, update us if you have workaround with these! Thanks :slight_smile:

Layout is hanging for long periods of time. I have a Mac and all software is up to date. Any interaction with SU portals even a simple resize results in a spinning beach ball for 15 minutes minimum and sometimes, I have to force quit as it will just hang. SketchUp is not responding to me and this is day two. Are they have money troubles and staff cuts? Seem odd as a pro user paying an annual subscription support fee and they are completely ignoring me. I have left 4 phone messages, and filed 3 support tickets and nothing. Looks bad. Is it time to look elsewhere for a modeling solutions?

Is your machine running Sierra (as shown in user profile), or are you on Big Sur?

I am running the latest version of Catalina

I have a current maintenance subscription. Why isn’t SU responding to my calls or support tickets? I have been trying to get through since yesterday and they will close for the weekend shortly.

I replied to your message, asking if you could put example files online for me to try. Look for emails from ‘pro support’.

Colin, the file I that is at issue is an unpublished yet to be copyrighted file. I am unable to share it risking it be stolen. I have solved my issue after almost 16 hours. I saved my file back to 2019, uninstalled SU 2020, emptied the trash restarted my Mac, downloaded and installed SU 2019, It worked, but still very slow, but 2020 just degraded until it didn’t even respond. I waited over any hour just for the file to save. Note, this is a 135mb file so not huge. I then opened another LO file and which worked as normal and save it out with a new name. I then recreated the job I was having trouble by inserting the model. I now have recreated the job and moving toward completing it for delivery. I have on my calendar to change over to the SU Pro subscription model the 1st of November, but have great concerns that SU does not call back or answer their phone even for paid support. I have Adobe and Apple Care paid support and I can without fail get a live tech on the phone to solve issue. Adobe provides more valuable software: LR & PS for $120 a years and SU charges $299. It seems that at minimum I would get a call back within a few hours. I have been leaving messages now for 2 days and the only response it here requiring me to do the work? Is this the level of support I am to expect? Thank You, Ron

I had in mind that you would send any file that was enough of a problem for you that I could try the same file on the my same model Mac, and see if it is equally bad for me. If it was, I would try to find out what it was about the file that made it so bad, and if it wasn’t, I would try to work out what was different with your setup.

Whatever you do, don’t switch to a subscription model in November. You have support until April, and you can switch at that time for the same price as the promo that you have read about. That will be far enough away that there should have been one or two updates to LayOut, that we all hope will improve things.

I do see your three voicemails and five emails, but I think my colleagues were hoping you would reply to my message from your first email. We could do a screen share some time, and I might be able to think of something to improve things for you. For now I will take ownership of all eight cases, but it would be easiest if we only go back and forth on the one I already replied to.

Reply to that message if you would like to set up a time to do a screen share.

And I thought I was the only one who had issues about files being stolen. :relieved:

Sketchup is good to go on Big Sur as much as anything?

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.