Sketchup Pro 2019 going "not responding"

I have read another article talking about crashing. Mine doesn’t crash most of the time. But i will be in the middle of something like drawing a line or zooming in and out and it will freeze for a few seconds and say “not responding” then It runs fines again, it wouldn’t be a big deal except it does it every couple minutes and it gets aggravating when working for a while on it. I repaired it running as an admin. I have re started my computer and the program. I ran the checkup and the only thing that messes up is the graphics card says i have 1 MB and i need 256. But i have 8GB and i looked online and it says that this happens and to ignore it if you know you have enough, which I do. I have run task manager to watch if anything spikes and i have no more than 30% usage on any one item. I have 32GB of ram and 6 core 3.3 GHz Processor, Windows 10. I should be fine, but i don’t know what else to do. I don’t have it in a location to update to a cloud or working from a server. it is directly on my C: drive which is a Solid state drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried turning off auto save? If a model is complex, auto save will cause an interval when SU freezes. You can increase the auto save period to get a trade off against the risk of losing work in case of a crash.

The auto save time could be the problem, but I am trying to figure out an issue where I get not responding only when using a particular monitor. Or more exactly, if I’m using the main monitor everything is ok, if I use a second monitor it does the not responding right away.

So, different from your case, but if you have two monitors can you try moving the document to the other monitor, close it, then reopen, so that you work the whole session on the main monitor. See if that makes any difference.

You’ve told us about what you’re working with in terms of hardware.
Now please tell us about the model that exhibits the problem.

Post a screenshot of Model Info (top and bottom) or better still, share the model.

Top%20MI%20Stats Bottom%20MI%20Stats

sorry, first time posting

a screenshot of the model or the file itself?

That model has a very modest number of edges and faces, but you have a pretty large number of unused components and materials. Purging the model might help performance, especially if any of the materials use large texture images.

Preferably the model itself. Working from a screenshot usually forces us to guess.

1 Like

whats the best way to share that? if i share the file via email, it tells me it is too large to send. is there a preferred method here?

Upload it to Drop Box and share the link.

Here is a dropbox link, it says i have to upgrade to pro for me to add additional sharing options to link sharing. I use Google drive usually, so here is that link as well.

1 Like

@brandon.d.dodd’s screenshot of Model Info Statistics is a bit misleading.
Show nested components isn’t checked.

A checkmark in the box tells the whole story.
MI_Stat_ALL

1 Like

No amount of fine hardware can overcome the workload created by poor modeling technique.
The model in question has numerous issues that are causing it to lag.

One problem is overly complex components from the 3DWH.
Viewing the model in Wireframe with Hidden Geometry on reveals the stuff that leads to a laggy model.
Massive amounts of unnecessary micro-geometry.

Start here…

SketchUp Fundamentals
https://learn.sketchup.com/

Thank you very much for your help, my wife is visual, so i put the models in for her to see where things will go. But i can see how that will affect the performance. I also realized that it usually happens when i save as well, so the intermittent could also be the auto save feature.

I will look at the fundamentals and do some more learning as i move forward, you have been a great help.
Thank you!

1 Like

If working on a laptop, make sure SketchUp is using the dedicated Graphic Card ([menu]Window->Preferences->OpenGL->Graphic Card Details)
On most Laptops, energy saving settings prevent the use of the Strong Card to uphold made promisses about the battery.

If not, rightclick on an empty space of the desktop and change the settings in the Nvidia panel.

I recently purchased Sketchup Shop for a personal home design project. I recently figured out how to purge unused materials to reduce the file size. However, this has not resolved the problem of the program being slow and unresponsive. I am constantly getting error messages such as, “Sketchup not responding” or “long running script”. I am using Windows 10 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and a very fast internet connection. Is there anything else I can do to make this program I paid for useable because at this point it is not? The average file size where this is a problem is 70mb. I feel like I am sitting and spinning more than I am working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.