Sketchup Pro 2018 launches fine, but errors come up when I connect external monitor and try to launch

Basically what the title says.
This is on a new laptop. When I launch Sketchup Pro 2018, it launches flawlessly when working on just the laptop. As soon as I connect my external monitor via a USB-C docking station, it will not launch and I receive this error on startup.

*"The following errors were found when launching SketchUp:

Hardware acceleration is unsupported or has been disabled on your graphics card. SketchUp requires that you use a hardware accelerated graphics card.
Unfortunately, these errors will prevent SketchUp from running. Updating your graphics card drivers might fix the problem.

See this Help Center article for more information.*

After some research, I was unable to find some settings that were being talked about in other forums and I verified that my OpenGL driver is on v4.5.

Any help or troubleshooting steps are welcome and helpful.

Thank you!

You might try going through your whole system and updating all drivers related to display and the docking station (Nvidia driver, Intel graphics driver, computer and docking station firmware, Thunderbolt software, network driver etc.
Dell computer/docking station? Some people have been successful by disabling the integrated Intel graphics.
Does it work if you connect your external monitor directly?

I did try updating the drivers already. It is a Lenovo Thunderbolt docking station and I did not get a chance to try connecting my external monitor directly due to lack of a compatible cable. I will try these steps first. After that is there anything else I should consider trying?

Two workarounds (none of them “perfect” :blush: )

1. Open SketchUp before you connect to docking station

2. Duplicate your laptop display instead of “Show only on 2” or “extend”

So when I boot it up and then connect it does work. Duplicating for some reason instead of extending did not. Definitely found that odd. I appreciate the help and your suggestions, but looking for more than just a temporary solution at the moment.

Thank you!

Yeah, that is just a circumvents of the incompatibility drives. Sorry.
Mostly the windows updates, or other buggy drivers causing such a problems.
The best if you try to update the drivers from Nvidia, Intel site and the firmware for docking station at manufacturer site. As Anssi suggested.

In some cases, this is may not work, i saw a case where only changing the dock helped. :confounded:

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to that as well. I will look into it further and try any other additional troubleshooting from other users and see if there is anything that resolves it.

Like I said, I have done the basics of making sure updates/drivers were updated and I have tried uninstalling sketchup and installing again to no avail. I do have to try what Ansii suggested, but everything else I could possibly think of and had the materials to attempt, were done. Feeling stumped :confused:

I do appreciate your help though!

Under the years I have seen endless trouble with OpenGL-using applications, laptops and docking stations. An older Lenovo model (one with a special connector in the bottom of the laptop) refused altogether to support OpenGL. Others have had difficulty in supporting two external monitors in addition to the one on the laptop. It is definitely not as plug and play as I would want it to be.

Just to be certain, you have updated from the manufacturers site and not just relied on windows to say they are up to date?

As far as graphics, display, and docking station drivers, yes I have. Would there be any other drivers I should try from manufacturer websites?

If any of your combinations of monitors leads to a bugsplat, can you send it in? There are docking station related issues that we’re trying to figure out.

I was getting a bugsplat at first but have not seen it since updating some drivers. I will if anything leads to another. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.