Sketchup pro 2017 jerky

benchmarks of CPUs and GPUs.

I was doing a little search on Google and I think this is the site I meant.
http://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu
I know V-Ray is not SketchUp but can that site used as a relative orientation of how well behave using SketchUp?

I understand the need to check specs when buying new hardware, but as SU15 worked so beautifully on this one year old PC I wrongly assumed that the Pro version would be a simple software, not hardware upgrade.
I got a good deal on the software and was ahead $100 for a couple of weeks.
No problem, if the new graphics card makes my 3D workload smoother, plus the Layout presentation feature enhances the design work, then it will be money well spent. Budgets are tight over here in Portugal!
Thanks for the advice.

That contradicts what was said above about the revised engine in Pro2017. It IS more demanding on the PC.

What is contradictory? @sketch3d_de wrote that ā€œSU v2017 is more demandingā€¦ā€ No differentiation between Pro and Make. They both use the same graphics engine and make the same demands on the GPU.

His comparison was to older versions of SketchUp, not a comparison between Make and Pr.

In the context of this thread, the comparisons are between 2015 MAKE and 2017 PRO.

the comparison is obvioulsy between software revisions (2017 vs. older builds) and not license terms (Pro vs. Make)ā€¦

2 Likes

The graphics cards in both of my computers (old QuadroFX 1800 and a GeForce 620M) are both way below the performance of anything discussed in this thread. Still, I have experienced no degradation of performance when switching to newer versions of SketchUp. On the contrary, compared to the early versions of the application, things now run more smoothly. So I suspect something else is wrong here.

Are you opening the exactly same model in v.2015 and 2017?

What kind of OpenGL settings are you using in 2015 and 2017 respectively? especially Fast Feedback and Antialiasing? (Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL)

Your i5 CPU has an integrated IntelĀ® HD Graphics 4600 graphics cirquit. Are you sure that SketchUp is not using that instead of the Nvidia card? It might be disabled in a desktop but it might pay to check in the Nvidia control panel 3D application settings that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia graphics, as the automatic selection option will automatically select the Intel option if available.

2 Likes

I think @Anssi can be right at least in certain aspects.
Mine is GTX 750 Ti 2G OC and it takes some time some operations but it looks usable.
You will thank an hardware upgrade and in the worse case a good graphics card can be used in a future computer.
But I think there is something more wrong on that computer, maybe settings or maybe its maintenance.
PC 1 year old using Windows 7? why? if itā€™s brand new it should came with W10.

Many, many companies still have a Windows 7 environment (like my employer). That is why Microsoft still has to support it, and the vendors of computers for corporate use still supply it. I think I have avoided some worries by not upgrading to Win10 at home, either.

1 Like

Yes, I ordered Windows 7 deliberately to avoid any more learning curves.

Thanks Anssi,
I opened the same model in both Make 2015 and 2017 PRO and the jerkiness is only in 2017 PRO.
I checked that the each program was using the Nvidia card, which they are according to the OPEN GL dialogue box in each version.
There didnā€™t seem to be a way to confirm this on the Nvidia control panel.

OK, Problem resolvedā€¦thanks to three hours live chat with Nvidia and two driver installations it was the two extra VGA monitors plugged into the graphics card that slowed it all up. (I run 3 monitors)
They are not compatible with this card, so I donā€™t need to change the card, just the two monitors to HDMI output monitors. With just one DVI-I monitor plugged into the graphics card both programmes were smooth as silk even on full shadow settings.
(I still donā€™t understand why the 2015 SU version was smooth with the monitors on, but the 2017 PRO version wasnā€™t, I guess it was a fine line in performance that was crossed)

The two new monitors will probably cost about the same as a new graphics card, but I can use these monitors on other machines in my workshop.
Thanks for all your input (no pun intended)

3 Likes

denoting this exotic setup at first would probably have saved some time tracking down the causing problemā€¦ am asking for this sometimesā€¦ should do always :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I am sure it would have helped, but as I said, in 2015 MAKE, the program didnā€™t jerk or stall, so the monitors werenā€™t a factor I was concerned with. However, I will put on my system listing the new HDMI connected monitors.
Cheers!

until then and if spanning the Windows desktop over all monitors you may want use the free NirSoft ā€˜MultiMonitor Toolā€™ for disabling non-main monitors during SU running.

1 Like

Fantastic! Many thanks.

And, what a whopper of a learning curve. Whew! Iā€™m still biting my tongue over upgrade frustrations since Windows 8 came out.

SU15 used OpenGL 2.7 while SU17 uses OpenGL 3.0. OpenGL function library your computer uses comes via the graphics driver. And while driver developers/manufacturers may claim to be 100% OpenGL compliant, any such claim may not be 100% accurate. SU requires OpenGL functions many other applications do not require and would not be missed if left out of the driver until a program like SU (which requires more OpenGL function calls than many other programs) is installed.

1 Like

unfortunately W7 does not support recent hardware (e.g. CPUs) any more and maintenance will terminate at January 2020.