Sketchup Pro 2016 for Mac: Instability

Over the past coupe of days I have been having multiple issues:

First, when exporting 2D Graphic I have intermittent (60-70% of the time) crashes using conte or pencil on tracing paper styles. Second, when using multiple workspaces, I have had an issue where when I take an action (e.g. select a line/face) I am shifted to another workspace where the entity/style/component & color windows show up without the drawing, which remains in the other workspace and finally when I try to add an element to the custom toolbar I get a BugSplat.

Anyone have any ideas?

Running freshly reinstalled SketchUp Pro 2016 (no 3rd party extensions or plugins)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

when exporting 2D Graphic what format and settings are you using?

when in Full Screen mode have you tried Preferences >> Workspace >> Reset Workspace?

are you sending in your bugsplats? @Barry may be able to have a look…

I submitted one when testing Full Screen just now…

I’ve also seen this on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina. I think it is related to some reported issues with dual displays in which SketchUp seems to get confused about where the “chrome” should be placed. I’ve managed to fix it temporarily by dragging the viewport onto the same workspace/desktop as the rest of the GUI. That is, if you click and drag the top stripe of the window over to the side of the desktop, when the cursor is near the edge the window will jump to the next desktop in that direction. Repeat until all the bits are on the same desktop. For me, it then stays OK for a long time until some unknown event confuses SU again.

Regarding your BugSplats, as john has written already, I hope you are submitting them to Trimble with sufficient identifying info that they can gather them together and get back to you.

Thanks so muchLynne. I’m afraid I don’t know what “virtual box” is. I just run the Mac version of SketchUp Pro 2016 on a Macbook Pro.

Thanks John, I am submitting the bugsplats with my email address. I am not using fullscreen mode as the window seems to, by default, fill the screen. I will try this exercise though. My real concern is the sudden advent of multiple issues!

Lynne is referring to a virtual machine environment in which to run the Windows version of SU. Popular VM’s on Mac include Parallels desktop and VMWare fusion. This technique is necessary on Linux because there is no native SU version for that OS, but should not be necessary on Mac OS X (unless for some reason you just prefer the Windows SU).

Thanks so much! I will also try your earlier suggestion related to fixing the workspace issue.

it may be worth ‘assigning’ SU to it’s own space as described in this [edited] Apple doc…

Assign apps to spaces
If you assign an app (or System Preferences) to a specific space, the app will always open in that space.

Press and hold an app’s icon in the Dock.

From the shortcut menu that appears, choose Options, then one of the following:

This Desktop: The app opens only in the current space. If you use the app full screen, it appears in its own space.

john

Hi Drewcooks-

I haven’t found any crash reports with an email address that looks like your user name. If you’d like me to look up the crash reports, could you tell me what name you’ve been putting on the BugSplats? (you can contact me privately if you’d prefer: marc@sketchup.com)

Thanks,
Marc

As Marc said, I don’t see Drewcooks, and we don’t have your email, so please respond to @Marc. John, yours is an OS X notification that blasts memory, so it’s anyone’s guess where the issue is. Crash stacks with things like “libobjc.A.dylib!objc_msgSend” and an offset are typically hard to track down.

Thanks Marc. Sent you the email offline. I can send a spindump report for the 2D graphic export issue if that would help.

Thanks again

Ok, I see two crash reports with your address on them, both related to the toolbar customization crash. (SketchUpers, start with #5075 in SU Mac 16). The crashes are both related to how the Mac handles toolbars, and unfortunately the crashes don’t appear to be happening in code that we have much control over so it’s a little difficult to give you an exact solution.

I think that the most likely issue is that the .plist file that stores the customized menu information is corrupt somehow. I’d try moving aside (i.e. renaming) that plist file (/Users/{your user name}/Library/Preferences/com.sketchup.SketchUp.2016.plist). Make sure that SketchUp is not running when you do this, otherwise the same data will just be written again when SketchUp shuts down. To be safe, restart your machine after renaming this file. When you run SketchUp again, you will have to redo any menu customizations you already have done, but hopefully there won’t be any more crashes.

Thanks,
Marc

A wrinkle on Marc’s advice: Since Mavericks, Mac OS X caches preferences in system memory. If you delete or rename a plist file, OS X will continue to feed values to the app from the last cached version. To refresh the cache you must either log off and log back in, or else open a terminal and type
killall cfprefsd