SketchUp Make is acting buggy

I’ve used it before on this computer with no problems, but the past couple of days it has been acting weird. I can create a simple object, but if I deselect it and reselect it, it is no longer editable. Points are jumping around, stuff dissappears, and sometimes when I rotate the camera it just moves the camera to outer space and I can’t find my model. I have restarted my computer, reinstalled Sketchup, changed a million settings, but it just keeps screwing up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you upgraded your Graphics Card [aka Display Adapter] to the latest version ?

When you installed SketchUp did you select the installer file’s exe and right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator” ?
Having admin-powers [or even being the administrator] when choosing to simply ‘Run’ [or double-click on] an installer’s exe can produce flaky results - sometimes with very subtle weirdness !
If not, then SketchUp might not have been installed perfectly…
Normally you do not need to uninstall and reinstall it [although if all else fails you can try that!].
Close Sketch|Up.
Find the SketchUp installer file [exe] - it’s probably in your Downloads folder - but otherwise you might need to download the installer again…
Select the exe icon.
Right-click > context–menu > Run as administrator…
When prompted chose ‘Repair’…
Retry SketchUp.
If it’s still flaky, then repeat th above process, but this time Uninstall, then repeat it again, this time do the Install…

Thanks, I’ll try the admin deal first. Seems like that was an issue a while back, but I forgot. “subtle wierdness” is a perfect descriptor…

When you orbit, place the cursor over some geometry to give SU something to reference.

What version did you “Use before with no problems” ?

What version are you attempting to use now ?

(Ie, your profile IT answers are a bit vague.)

These all sound like symptoms of having gotten an object in your model located very far from the rest of the contents or very far from the model origin, especially if SU was working ok for you before. There have been other reports of this issue with models. The problem is especially nasty if you have unknowingly saved a file with this flaw as your default template, as it then infects every new file you create.

It is likely due to a bug in SketchUp, but it happens rarely and nobody has yet found a repeatable sequence of actions that causes it, so a hard diagnosis hasn’t yet been possible.

In some cases I have been able to repair a model suffering this flaw. If you can share your model, I’ll give it a go.

1 Like