Sketchup Make 2017 takes many hours to launch - with or without a file

I have a general purpose laptop - Intel i5-7200U at 2.5 GHz, with a basic Intel 620 graphics card. However, I’ve been running the free SU Make 2017 for several years with no problems. In the last couple of months, it has begun to take hours (sometimes 20-30 hours) for Sketchup to open (whether I try to open a previous model, or simply open Sketchup with no model just to begin a new model. SU runs fine after it opens. My PC is regularly updated, the system tells me my graphics card driver is the latest.

I have started to delay my automatic Windows 10 updates by a few weeks so I don’t have to restart SU, but I updated last night, and here I sit, waiting for SU to load. Note that I’m not sure which SU version I’m running - I don’t know how to tell until the program eventually opens?

Any suggestions on what I can try?

Well, SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed in nearly 5 years so what did? I guess you could try repairing the installation of SketchUp by right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing Run as administrator then Repair. That might help. If you don’t have the installer anymore, get it from sketchup.com/downloa/all

Don’t trust the system to tell you, go to intel and get the latest driver.

1 Like

I’ve been using Make 2017 for at least a year and it always opens quickly. I’m on Mac.

Wouldn’t hurt to look at your system monitor while this is happening. If you have a RAM card that went bad or some piece of rogue software bogging you down, you’ll be able to see it happening there. Check what the computer is reporting for installed memory vs. what you know is installed for discrepancies. I found a bad RAM chip this way. In some cases, the RAM card is simply dislodged, and you can push it back in place, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

Honestly, with that amount of loading time, I’m going to bet you have a piece of hardware that’s failed or on its way out. I would backup everything ASAP.

3 Likes

Another possibility is that your hard drive is too full.
Windows can do strange things when running out of disk space…

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. Next time I won’t need SU for a day or two I’ll try some of these. I’m in the middle of an SU project, and I don’t want to potentially again be without SU for a day.