SketchUp & LayOut 2019 issue on macOS 10.14 Mojave on MacBook Pro mid 2012


I’ve been using SketchUp 2017 with LayOut on my MacBook Pro 15-inch, mid 2012, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB + Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB on OSX without issues but, on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 I’m having this problem (with SU2017 already present and with the new SU2019):

  • opening a Layout file with connected Sketchup file, when trying to update or reconnect it crashes;

  • if I try to change the view from raster to vectorial it crashes;

It seems to be a problem with the graphic board installed so I’ve disabled the automatic change of the graphic board in system preference panel but no solution was provided.
I’ve also tried to find a solution on web but still in trouble.
The only solution I got was to install SU2019 on Windows 7 64bit natively on same MacBook Pro and it works!!
I don’t understand why I can’t use SU2019 on OSX.
Can someone help me?

Note: I got the files’ log of both crash reports.

it seems you have your reference .skp stored on the main drive…


I suspect that causes a permissions issue and you could try moving it to your User space…

~/Strado... i.e. /Users/<your name>/Documents/Strado... for example…

and edit the reference path before updating…

may work, may not…



originally the project files where stored on Google Drive folder.

I’ve copied them on the desk but still crashes…

are they now ‘links’ or did you ‘move’ the folder?


Copied both LO and SU files and changed the reference on LO file.

I encountered this same problem on the same hardware during basecamp 2018. I discussed it with one of the developers and was told that there was an issue with the way that Layout hands off to the SketchUp engine for re-rendering when you change between raster and vector. Evidently it happens only with certain MacBookPros and with certain SketchUp model situations. I’ve not heard of a fix…


So. Here is the solution. I hope it will help someone else.

First of all, the rule is that, using hardware like mine, the SU project should contain less than 10.000 faces…

To reach this target I’ve had to “clean” the project erasing all the components too heavy of surfaces (bathroom furnitures etc).

Done this, I’ve purged all the components not used and… it’s worked!

Not so happy cause my project was simple (a simple house with 3 floors) but now I can work.

For next project I believe I should buy a new mac.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.