SketchUp is crashing every time I open a document

Hi everyone!

I’m currently working on a project (334.8 MB) and every time I open it, it is crashing or a spinning wheel comes up and won’t go away unless I force quit the app. The document includes a lot of components, groups and Vray components/lighting. I have tried purging the document but that doesn’t seem to help.

I saw another forum saying to check Activity Monitor and the memory states 11GB for SketchUp but I’m not familiar with what this means.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
Memory - 8GB
Storage - 250GB

Thank you!

Probably a case of the file overwhelming your computer. Share the SketchUp file with us so we can see what you are working with.

Hey Dave!

I can’t seem to upload my file as my file is larger than 16 MB. Is there another way to share the file?

I was thinking that it is likely my computer that is the issue but wanted to check just incase. I have just downloaded SketchUp 2023 to see if they may help with the issue too.

Thanks

Yes. Upload it to DropBox or WE Transfer and share the link.

Let me know if this works :slight_smile:

Downloading. Give me a few minutes.

Okay, thank you!

1 Like

It was a litte slow to open on my computer but not terrible. I did find a lot of incorrect tag usage which I fixed.
Screenshot - 5_29_2023 , 8_08_39 PM

There is a huge number of materials in the file and many that seem to be duplicates. You could consolidate them. There were three dozen excessively large textures. I reduced them to something more suitable. There are some elements like fences and firewood that seem to be more detailed than they need to be.

See if this one will behave better for you. I set the face style to Monochrome so your GPU doesn’t have to work so hard. I would dig through some of the heftier components and see about reducing them.

Thank you so much! I’m currently a student so learning about everything. This project has been a few months now, so there is likely a lot of unnecessary things.

You’re welcome. I was pleased to see there are no unused components or materials in the file. that’s typically a problem for new users. Maybe there are components and materials you could remove anyway, though.

Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.