SketchUp Free failure to launch

I confirmed on Win7 that there are issues. For some reason, Chrome on Win7 doesn’t have a flag set on my clean install for WebGL 2.0 enabled. Firefox did, but I can’t find the right setting to make it go. @thomase00, I know this isn’t your case (you set it), but maybe it’ll help others?

Chrome:

1. Open Chrome and go to chrome://flags (type that in the url textfield).
  2. Find the setting WebGL 2.0 - allow applications to access WebGL 2.0 and change it to Enabled. Mine, on a clean install, wasn’t set to that.

Firefox:
in about:config a setting webgl.enable-webgl2 is default to true, so I’m playing around with other webgl settings and not getting it to work. I’ll report back later.

2 Likes

Thanks, Barry. That got the Chrome version to run for me. Let me know when we get the desktop fix.

Well, that’s part of the reason we do WebGL as well as OpenGL: IMHO companies are working a little harder to make WebGL work as a minimum on their platform, and seem less concerned about their OpenGL standards, since the low-end boxes will never be gamer-boxes. It also allows our EDU SketchUp to run on Chromebooks. Watch for driver updates, and bug Intel.

I see your points on low-end boxes and Chrome books. Great move there. It is still frustrating though. Like I said in a previous post, I’ve never purchased a PC that is optimized to run SU or other graphics-intensive programs and I’ve never had a problem as a personal user doing models for my backyard pergola or the like. Also, I’m not always online so forcing me to a web-based version cuts down the times I can use the software. I hope you continue to track this issue. Not sure I understand why this is Intel’s issue. If you explain, then I will go bug them. They of course will point the finger at you guys.

P.S. - You know that even if I buy SU Pro this is still a problem. This graphics card i’m sure will be standard on many of the new Dell Inspirons like mine so by not making your desktop versions work with this is a problem. My system info is listed below.

I did the same thing in “chrome://flags”. WebGL 2.0 was set to “Default”, and I changed it to “Enabled”, but it still doesn’t work.

Firefox DOES work and https://get.webgl.org/webgl2/ reports that it DOES support WebGL 2.0.

I’m starting to think the issue is with Chrome itself (e.g. blacklisting Intel HD 530).

Been there. Done that. Cleared browsing data - cached images and files. Restarted Chrome.

Still doesn’t work. Sorry.

Mac Sierra latest update 10.12.6, Chrome ditto 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Also cleared Hosted App data and again restarted Chrome - quit, then reopen. STILL doesn’t work. Same old error message.

What else to try?

Is this on an iMac with Radeon R9 M395 (your profile) or a MacBook? If it’s a MacBook, what are the graphics card(s). Be plugged in, or change your settings in Energy Saver to use the higher performance graphics if you have 2 cards. I’m typing this on same OS, same Chrome, so only our hardware is different.

A temporarily rented MacBook Pro - my main machine is away for a warranty repair. Not at machine now (on my phone) but will post HW spec shortly.
… Later:
About this Mac says:

Not a lot of graphics memory, apparently, but it is handling moderately complex models ok, and even opened and displayed (after a VERY long ‘think’) a 360MB model.

Any updates on this?

Same problem, this is our system info:
intel celeron e3400 2.60 GHz - 4GB RAM
win10 pro - chrome version 62.0.3202.94 (Build oficial) (64 bits)

Hope this help!

This trick did it for me. I was using the site (Trimble Identity) a few days ago without any problems, but today it decided to act weird and don’t load up at all. I don’t remember making any changes for it to happen. Thanks

I have this same issue and tried the Chrome enable fix, no joy

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP EliteBook 8440p (VD486AV)
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 713 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.59 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.02 GB

Browser: Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Desktop OS: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit with Linux Kernel 3.19.0-32-generic.

GPU: AMD RV770 LE Radeon HD 4830 GPU with generic Linux Driver. (AMD does not have a driver version for the Linux Kernel 3.19).

WebGL: Chrome is running software WebGL, but does not support WebGL2.

Problem Description: Yesterday (or the day before) I was able to use Sketchup Free (though I had a few lock-ups when I tried to make components). Tonight when trying to launch it, I just got the message at the top of the page and then nothing (blank page).

I checked and there was a new update to chrome available (the version listed above), so I updated and tried again. Since Chrome updates automatically and I leave stuff open on my desktop, I assume Chrome might have done some additional updates over the last few days without me knowing it.

So the questions are these

1. What exactly does Sketchup Free require out of the WebGL features to run correctly, so I can figure out how to make that happen in my browser.
  2. Does anybody know how to make Chrome provide the environment needed?

It still seems broken in Chrome on Mac Sierra - I’ve tried it half a dozen times since the public launch, and can’t get it to run on any of those trials. SU logo pulses about 15-20 times, then the same error message as in the topic title.

Same build no. for Chrome as previous poster Timothy.

It does (eventually) start in Safari - but only after nearly 40 ‘pulsations’ of the SU logo - feels like a VERY long time!

1 Like

I have this problem too. Yesterday I used SketchUp Online, but i see new start page and this error.
Google Chrome v. 61.0.3163.100 32-bit.

Operating System: Windows 7 Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)

Intel(R) HD Graphics
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Video BIOS: 2143.0
Current Graphics Mode: 1366 by 768
Driver Version: 9.17.10.2828

DirectX* Version: 11.0
Physical Memory: 1719 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 256 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 859 MB

Could someone with the power combine this and the other identical thread.

1 Like

See all this discussion here: SketchUp Free failure to launch - #16 by jbacus

I just want to add some interesting information.

Besides the Chrome/Linux Mint environment described above, I also have Firefox installed. Since Chrome stopped working I’ve used Firefox successfully, though I don’t prefer it because zooming is weird in Firefox. For what its worth, my FireFox brouser is at version 57 (Quantum) and Sketchup WebApp still works on this LInux MInt box.

Here’s the weird part. I have an Asus laptop, maybe about 5 years olds with a similar setup. As expected the Sketchup WebApp does not work on the Chrome Browser on this LInux Mint Laptop. The weird part is that the Sketchup WebApp ALSO does not work on the Firefox Browser (also v57). I’ll post the versions information from my laptop the next time I get on there.

1 Like

The critical pieces of information we need to troubleshoot this problem include your operating system (and version), your graphics driver, your browser (and version) and what kind of graphics hardware you are using.

We don’t actively test in Linux desktop environments (there are just soo many of them and we can’t cover everything) but I would be keen to hear what works and doesn’t from those of you who are running those environments every day.

Sketchup desktop version just downloaded and it works, but free browser version get same message about Webgl support.

Win7 Ultimate
6.1.7601 SP1 build 7601

Chrome 62.0.3202.94 64bit