SketchUp for iPad

Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you would be looking for in terms of the export capabilities you would want SketchUp for iPad to offer in order to facilitate workflows across Procreate and Adobe apps?

Hi Dana, Iā€™m sorry to hear that you and @hubert_salas are having trouble accessing SketchUp for iPad.

I would recommend the following steps:

1. Install TestFlight. Launch and then quit TestFlight.
  2. Click the big blue button in the email that you received from TestFlight.
  3. You should see SketchUp Viewer (i.e. SketchUp for iPad) available to install from TestFlight.

If for some reason thatā€™s not working / not what youā€™re seeing, send me a DM and Iā€™ll help get you sorted.

This thread was started in the Meta section of the forum asking to create a specific category for the Ipad version. It has now filled up with all sorts of stuff, mostly relevant, but there should be a category and threads for specific questions and suggestions.

1 Like

You just beat me to it. I started here asking if there should be a category. Maybe this whole thread should be moved to a new category?

1 Like

Export to png with transparency into the photos locally on the iPad would do. I just simulated it as a test with SketchUp Shop because you can do it from there.

1 Like

Hi jody,

greetings and thnx for reply.

I hope the update for M1 comes in 2021 (in my paid license period until Nov 2021),
i donā€™t like the new subscription!
ā€¦ but i think i have no luck!

Greetings Tobi

Those apps can only support 2D imagery that the iPad version can produce already, or do you mean you want transparency?

I didnā€™t see an answer from any of the SU staff about extensions with this version of SketchUp, but I might have missed it.

At first glance, it does look a lot like the web based version so my first guess is that it does not support extensions.

Its not a port of the web version, its a completely different build specifically for iPad made from the ground up for iOS. So plugins regardless, are not compatible. I believe Mike already confirmed this in another post.

3 Likes

SketchUp for iPad doesnā€™t replace SketchUp for Desktop. Thatā€™s for sure. However itā€™s a great 3d modeller for conceptual models and itā€™s a great presentation tool. I moved my online meetings from desktop to ipad completely.

Iā€™ve also been using SketchUp for iPad on initial stages and it is great. Itā€™s pencil support is being worked on to make it seamless and itā€™s going on a great direction.

Itā€™s a great app even at its current state, I find it incredibly useful but itā€™s not full fledged SketchUp, mainly because it lacks plugins.

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

we know that Procreate will be adding a 3d painting feature to their already amazing app; it would be great if Sketchup had the ability to export to a format that is read in Procreate without losing anything ( i.e materials, textures, layers, shadows and geometry separately) in the process; this means we could be colouring the model in Procreate.

3 Likes

That I didnā€™t know.
Edit: So does that mean you could create a UV map in Procreate to bring back into SketchUp?

1 Like

That would be great!

I suppose so.

Iā€™ve been using the Beta for a few days and I have to say it is remarkable. I am an IPad kinda guy: I already use it heavily for my work, especially Morpholio Trace, which I use, among other tasks, as a terrific way to sketch and take notes on PDfs of my Layout drawings with clients during virtual meetings. I have also always enjoyed the Sketchup Viewer: something about the way the model spins so easily using an Apple Pencil and my fingers rather than a mouse. I have always wished, though, that I could do more with it. And now, suddenly, I can. True, no extensionsā€“and I rely on extensionsā€“but I am surprised how many functions have been incorporated. Itā€™s the Pencil: it just works very well with the new app and it gets you a little closer to the model. I think this app has a bright future, at least for those of us who already are hooked on the Ipad.

1 Like

I also use Morpholio Trace, but I donā€™t like it. I do it all in Concepts and verify areas in trace.

iPad for me is about sketching and note taking in a sophisticated way. Having SketchUp modeling on it is really an huge bonus and changed how I see and work with the device

I will definitely give Concepts a try, thanks.

I have not been accepted yet for beta testing yet but have a question. I have an iPad Mini5 and a 1st generation Pencil. Will SU for iPad support the 1st gen pencil with the iPad 5 ? On iOS 14.8 and plan to install iOS 5.x

Thanks, John

Iā€™ve got it working on a plain iPad G6, 1st Gen Pencil and iPad OS 14.8.

I have the same, and waiting since a week or more ago when I signed up. Bought the pencil new just for this. Though I find it works nicely in 2D with the free vector drawing app Vectornator that Iā€™ve just discovered. Easier to learn than Inkscape, I think so far.

But not 3D.