SketchUp (desktop version) thinks you don't have an Internet connection

The file-based solution seems a good option for the standalone desktop application.
But what is the solution for SketchUp web?

@drmandarin This thread is about the desktop application error. If you’re getting an error message for SketchUp for Web, it would be best to begin a new thread to keep the problems and solutions separate.
Here are some examples of the error messages that we are talking about. My Windows has orange title bars and borders, but otherwise it should look the same.

Thanks. Where is it specified that this is only for the desktop application?

The subject of the thread is not specific.

Parts like this are referring to desktop only features:

“The features affected would include Add location, Generate Report, 3D Warehouse, and Extension Warehouse.”

Even so, I edited the title to make it be clearer.

Can you even launch the web version without an internet connection?

Add location is available on the web version too.

Firstly, the very fact that this article needed posting should indicate to the SketchUp team that a better check is needed in the product. Why does the product rely out of the box on a third party’s website for a simple online check?

Secondly, regardless of the new specificity of this subject, still need a solution for the same problem in the web version. In fact the presence of a check for online connectivity in a web application is stupid. Users couldn’t use it if they didn’t have a connection, could they? In all likelihood the error probably indicates a problem with only the check, while the actual geolocation call would probably work fine.

Katya was suggesting that you start a new topic, and show exactly what is happening that makes the web version fail for you.

For the why check bing.com or google.com, we could use sketchup.com, but there are millions of tests per year. Microsoft’s servers have more bandwidth than ours. You also can edit the settings file to have the check be done against your own Intranet, for example. That would speed up the testing of you being online.

I don’t think those settings are available for the web version. You are going to a web page, if you get there, then the Internet does seem to be working.

I don’t see the need for a new topic.
Before your subject specificity change, the problem and the error message are the same regardless of whether web or desktop.

If you feel the need to start a new thread for the web version then of course please do so. But it should include a solution too of course.

Then perhaps google.com is a better out-of-the-box option given how many reports there are of problems with the bing check. Of course the argument could also be made that with the move away from the free product, some small part of that funding could be used to support the check that you have forced inside your own product.

No of course those settings are not available for the web version. And yes exactly, of course if the user can access app.sketchup.com then their internet connection is de facto working. Which is why I have pointed out that building in a connectivity test in the web version is stupid. Especially when that connectivity test is more likely to fail because of your poor choice of target host. And even more especially when the user cannot change it. The check in the web version should be removed.

You’re right, the category and title did not specify the platform, so thank you for pointing that out.
Nevertheless, if you want to talk about an error message for the web version and get replies about that, now that we’ve clarified, you will need to start a new thread. It’s how we can best help you and everyone else. Even if your topic is related to this one, the web conversation doesn’t likely help the people getting these specific error messages on the desktop, so it’s better to start a new thread for that new audience.

Given that a member of the SketchUp team saw fit to start this thread for this known issue with the desktop version, it would seem to follow then that a member of the SketchUp team should start a thread for the same known issue with the web version.

And of course it would make sense for the product team simply to fix the underlying problem rather than rely on users implementing workarounds.

There is something about this topic that I should point out. This is a post about a known issue, in a special page in the forum. It isn’t really intended to be a discussion, though some of the follow up comments helped me to refine the post.

For the web issue you’re seeing, the normal steps would be that people would report the issue (as its own new topic), me and others would figure out what is going on, and then make a known issue post. At the moment I don’t know what errors you are seeing, and so can’t easily say whether it’s a known issue.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Add location in web version of SketchUp is not seeing an Internet connection

Thanks for the details in your last post. I made it be a new topic, here:

I will ask the web developers to read your post, and hopefully they will fix the issue.

Someone is always the first! I actually am not familiar with what you’re talking about, but I’m very intrigued, and would love to read all about it on the new thread that Colin created for you. Please upload a screenshot in that new thread link.

Thanks! This is very helpful. Got it fixed…

Updating this this small line did the trick for my SketchUp Pro 2018 on the old MacBook with Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks Colin!

Thanks for the update!