Hello,
I’m running Sketchup 26.2.243 64-bit on Windows 11 Version 25H2 (OS Build 26200.9550). I can’t make the default tray appear. Window → Defafult Tray → Show Tray does not make the Defafult Tray appear. Try toggeling Window → Defafult Tray → Hide Tray and then Window → Defafult Tray → Show Tray. Still no tray. Yes, Resetting the Workspace makes the Default Tray appear, but then I have to setup my tool bars again. Then the next time Sketchup opens the Default Tray is missing. I have used Sketchup for many years and never saw this before. How to make the Default Tray appear without having to reset the Workspace everytime I start Sketchup?
Thanks for your help.
2 questions,
do you have multiple screens ? and if so do you often plug / unplug (laptop on an external monitor?)
and have tyou tried repairing authorisations ? download the installer, right click / run as admin and then repair.
what you describe sounds like the panel moves due to the change of screens.
Please update your forum profile, it is way out of date.
a) If you’ve run SketchUp this session, reboot your machine.
b) Navigate to: %LocalAppData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2026/SketchUp
and rename the PrivatePreferences.json file to bak it up. (Add .bak or whatever.)
c) Rerun the SketchUp installer and choose Repair.
d) You should then be back at factory defaults. (Yes you’ll need to set up toolbars and trays again.)
The most common thing is that this JSON file holding all the toolbar and tray setups gets corrupted.
Thanks ateliernab. Yes, I have two monitors which I share with a laptop. I have done this for many years and never had a problem with Sketchup Default Tray missing. I did try reinstalling but that didn’t work.
Thanks for your help DanRathbun. I knew nothing about the PrivatePreferences.json file located in %LocalAppData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2026/SketchUp until now. I didn’t realize it contains the details on what and where things show up in Sketchup when it first starts. Fortunately, I had a recent complete back up of my system so I simpy restored the PrivatePreferences.json file and the problem was resolved. How the PrivatePreferences.json file gets corrupted I have no idea. I will keep a backup of the PrivatePreferences.json file handy in case this happens again.