Can’t show tray

I go to Window>Default Tray>Show Tray, but the tray is not visible. This happens when I am on my laptop at 1920x1080 resolution. I see the tray when I am using my 4K monitor. I’m guessing SketchUp is placing the tray somewhere based on the 4K pixels and not scaling it when I’m in 1920x1080. Is there any solution? How can I show the tray?

The tray is probably off screen somewhere because the visible area of your desktop is smaller on the lower res laptop. Go to Window > Preferences > Workspace > Reset Workspace, and see if that doesn’t put it back on screen.

-Gully

4 Likes

Thanks Gully. That worked.

this has worked in the past for me, but it’s not working now. 2020 sketchup/windows 10. Default tray is greyed out. Any suggestions?

Did you install SU2020 correctly? That is, did you right click on the downloaded installer and choose Run as administrator? If not, close SketchUp, find the installer, right click on it and choose Run as administrator. Then choose the repair option when it is presented.

Thanks for the reply. It worked properly until a few days ago. If i reinstall i have to set up everything again which is quite tedious.

So what changed on your computer?

No. You don’t have to set up everything again if you Repair the installation.

nothing that I know of. What changed in sketchup? The tray has disappeared in the past and i was able to get back by resetting the workspace. I’m not sure it was greyed out in the past. default tray can be selected, “show tray” is greyed out. Can i recreate it?

| DaveR SketchUp Sage
April 6 |

• | - |

kcpilotpat:

It worked properly until a few days ago.

So what changed on your computer?

kcpilotpat:

If i reinstall i have to set up everything again which is quite tedious.

No. You don’t have to set up everything again if you Repair the installation.

In SU2020? Nothing since last year.

no suggestions? want to remote in?

I gave you a suggestion but it doesn’t sound like you took it. I’ve got a full day of students starting in a few minutes so I haven’t got time to remote in today.

ok, thanks. I don’t want to reinstall the software. that may well fix it, but it takes quite a bit of time. I don’t think that is the problem since it worked for a year and now doesn’t. I was hoping there was a known fix for it.

Pat

I told you to do a repair. That’s not reinstalling SketchUp and won’t take more than a few minutes.

thanks for your help. this is what I find on repairing. It looks like i would be uninstalling or removing sketchup. Instructions are minimal on repairing. If there is an instruction for repairing it would be helpful.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/uninstalling-or-repairing-sketchup

From yesterday: