SketchUp default characters - Green man!

Hello all,
I’m sure some of you know the names and identities of all the default human figures for each different version of SketchUp, so I’m hoping you could help!

To my untrained eye, it appears there’s possibly one or two non-Caucasian figures? Am I correct? (just judging from the slight variation in “skin tone” materials, not last names, hair, body height, or clothes because I feel we’re all the same in that respect. Just my two cents)
It’s my understanding that these are possibly employees that once worked for SketchUp and Trimble (just a guess) - is the ratio of Caucasians to non-Caucasians the same as it is here in the SketchUp default characters to the actual SketchUp workplace? I’m just curious and always wanted to know!
Thanks!
source
Anywho - possible cool outcome -
SketchUp dedicates the next decade to teaching young children in poor communities and underprivileged schools. Diversity! SketchUp can shape the future even more!
Or possibly have free boot camps for such children- even at their own schools (travel could be difficult for kids).

They are members of the SketchUp team.

What do you mean by “Caucasian”? Caucasia is a mountainous region between the Black sea and the Caspian sea. I understand it is mainly inhabited by various Turkish people. So, as SketchUp is based in Colorado, USA, I would guess that none of the team is Caucasian.

The other meaning of the word is used by 19th century racist crackpots, meaning roughly the same as “Aryan”. They didn’t know that all people, regardless of their skin colour, originated in Africa.

That’s the first I heard (perhaps I lead a sheltered life)

I’m not 100% caucasian BTW

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, the term was coined in 1780 by members of the Göttingen School of history, along with Mongoloid and Negroid… none of these terms being used anymore by anthropologistes.

Anyhow, the point here seems much more about the diversity presented.

1 Like

I don’t know why this is even appropriate but I see two Asians in the mix.

It seems like some peopl would like to assign some sort of motive to the diversity or lack there of in the figures “hero” figures. I don’t think there is any motive at all.

4 Likes

Why, thanks so much for your reply, Anssi!!
And I’m sorry you’re not familiar with the term as probably most here in North America, nay, the world are. :slight_smile: Here’s an image from if you search it in google. It should just pop up at the top.

It’s actually the same if you write it in the yahoo search engine. … not sure which you prefer? I don’t see the term “crackpot” in any though. :grinning:
That’s a terrific hat by the way!

1 Like

Thanks to you too, Dave!!!
Why isn’t it appropriate again?
:grinning:
I ask because SketchUp (I’m assuming) is used all around the world, and by many different skin tones… Some of which I’m sure would like to be included in the workplace as well as among the default figures… just a thought!
So are you saying the fact that most are one skin tone is inappropriate ? I agree! Thanks for your comment :grinning:

I also totally agree. I don’t think there was any “motive” at all!
I wasn’t trying to insinuate that. Appreciate your thoughts though.

I agree with Dave. There is no motive in the diversity of the figures, since they are just employees. Additionally it feels inappropriate to assume their races by color alone considering they don’t even have facial features. It feels like a serious reach to accuse SketchUp of being inappropriate because of this.

3 Likes

You twisted my words and I don’t appreciate that. On to the ignore list you go.

4 Likes

M- Agreed. Looks like we were thinking the same thing. I don’t think I said it was intentional though. I know for a fact SketchUp would never do anything like that intentionally. Anyways, appreciate your feedback. I really just meant… maybe some people are thinking the same thing when they see those characters every time they start a new project (yes there are cool ways to save different templates and use those instead) Just had to get it out there since sometimes it just seems normal to others. Was never an intention to start some sort of “internet ramble” - I’ll leave it at that. I know you’re a good person and all the people at SketchUp are too.
-Huge fan of SketchUp

cool.
It’s just sad that so much of the world is also ignored.

I understand your sentiment and appreciate your reply. I think that now, more than ever, we should focus on the real, tangible issues at hand affecting our lives. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. I know you weren’t saying this, but it’s a good time to focus on equal opportunity education and employment! (that’s my and a few others I know thoughts anyways)

I was curious where the picture came from. It seems to be from this article:

https://aeco.space/what-is-new-in-sketchup-pro-2020/

1 Like

Totally. When you see all the versions’ figures lined up like that… it just sort of stands out especially.

By the way, to learn more about the team, you can play this game.
Super cool!
And if you want to join, go here.

3 Likes

In the US caucasian is used for “white” (really more like pinkish beige if you ask me) people, of European ancestry. It’s a quite weird term, and I first heard it in some Michael More movie where he bought a gun and had to answer what race he was (I was so confused). I think it makes sense for non-US people to not be familiar with the phrase.

Regrading the scale figures I don’t now what would be appropriate and what wouldn’t. As states, these people are SketchUp staff, and the SketchUp headquarter is in Boulder, Colorado. If the scale figures were just made up people you could have a policy for cycling race, gender age etc to include everyone o the planet, but now it isn’t that simple.

If I worked at SketchUp I wouldn’t be very comfortable being picked as scale figure with the reason it was a long time ago someone with my race, age, gender etc was picked. While those surface features are the first thing people notice when they see me and probably affects how I’m treated by strangers, it’s not what makes me me.

2 Likes

As a UK national growing up in the 1970s I was very familiar with the word caucasian meaning ‘white’ (european) not in any negative context…

2 Likes

Never mind the 1970s, Paul, it still exists as a definition of racial origin on many UK government questionnaires. We certainly don’t use the term Aryan though!

As a person of no colour (is that the right term?), I feel uncomfortable with discussions of this kind. They sound like they are trying to stir something up. But I don’t know if that is my white privilege talking.

Trevor Phillips (a man I greatly admire) has just written about the desecration of the Colston statue that was torn down in the recent demonstration. He pointed out that it was mainly white people involved, as if even protests against discrimination have been taken out of the hands of those who feel discriminated against. What you might call white privilege by proxy.

1 Like