Sketchup Team Members

Some people here get the moniker of Sketchup Team Member. But do we know what the Sketchup Team means? I confess I don’t.

I presume the Sketchup Team is a subset of the larger Trimble family, but I am not sure even about that.

My sense is that Sketchup Team Members are not necessarily the developers, although some very obviously have advanced programming skills and have written very creditable extensions for SU.

I think it’s great that we have STMs contributing occasionally to this forum but I’d still be interested to know where they fit into the Trimble hierarchy. I hope that’s not an impertinent question.

Really!? It means they work for Trimble as part of the Sketchup Office.

1 Like

OK, and the SU Office are tasked to do what exactly?

1 Like

I believe I will leave someone else to answer that, I don’t think my response would fit with the forum guidelines.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That set of employees predates 2019. I wonder who made it.

2 Likes

Well, this is interesting. As of now, 121 people have read this post and that includes at least one STM, but even he has not addressed the question directly. Which leads me to suppose that either:

1. No one really knows; or

2. No one wants to say.

Is this commercially sensitive in some way?

I don’t think there is anything sensitive. SketchUp Team Members are people who have jobs at Trimble working on something related to SketchUp. I, personally, work on the Marketing Team. Each Team Member has a different position.

7 Likes

Simon, you have the makings of a conspiracy theorist.

7 Likes

SketchUp is a company. It has all types of employees, just like any company. Some are developers, but many hold typical roles you would find anywhere. They are team members, all of them.

1 Like

It can be anyone, even a member of cleaning staff of Sketchup office, who writes to forum and coding as a hobby. :slight_smile:
Like me… (except that I’m not working for SU) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

As for the relation between Trimble and SketchUp, you might want to read up here: SketchUp - Wikipedia and start with the History section

…and where did the “Pick the Lie” theme come from? It seems a lot like other fun and games stuff in SketchUp events. Is that a part of the job application form? :crazy_face:

time for an update then?

2 Likes

Er, no Dave. But a provocateur, yes. And the provocation has had results!

3 Likes

@RTCool It is part of making introductions with your new coworkers. However, you are asked for it after you get the job and don’t get rejected if you can’t come up with anything good.

2 Likes

I create learning content for SketchUp Campus at learn.sketchup.com…so if you like or don’t like anything there you know who to come after :wink:

3 Likes

OK. I’ve got your number now!

And to provide a bit more information…

The entire “SketchUp Team” is also known as the Architecture & Design Division of Trimble.

8 Likes

…which, I guess, shows how heavily the parent company is dominated by engineering.