Sketchup and Windows 10 - Again

Hi Manu,
I installed the driver from Acer’s website, it is a few years older than the driver on my computer, but I went ahead anyway. No difference. So I let Windows upgrade the driver to the one I had replaced. No difference, BUT a miracle could have happened and the computer MIGHT have recovered, it didn’t. I then re-visited the Intel website and allowed it to check my system, again, and download the latest driver, again, and then install the latest driver etc. Once again the driver couldn’t be installed because the Acer didn’t like it. Intel liked it but wouldn’t install it, but told me how to install it myself. Intel also warned me that I did this on my own head as installing the latest driver could cause the Acer to go belly up (there is another way of expressing that, but I won’t). So, SU 2016 runs fine, if a little slow depending on what I am doing, I will keep using it until I raid the extremely strong piggy bank with my dwindling reserves in it and buy a new sooper dooper computer and then have to re-install all the paid for and downloaded for free software. No matter what computer I buy, unless it’s a Mac, Windows will want to update it’s software and I could be faced with the same problem. I am very happy that your problems were easier to fix than mine!
( I wonder if I could take the hard drive from the Acer and have a better computer built around it?)
lrw65

If you buy your “sooper dooper computer” with an Nvidia graphics card, it’s likely you won’t have this problem again. Every computer I’ve had since I started using SketchUp (V3) has had Nvidia GPUs and I’ve never had any problems with Windows updates screwing up the drivers. It might screw up the drivers for the integrated Intel GPU but it doesn’t matter since that GPU isn’t being used.

1 Like

You’d still have to re-install Windows. Sir, you need a newer, better PC. You don’t need to spend $1,000 for one either. Stay away from Intel based graphics or low end AMD as well.
As with DaveR, I’ve NEVER had these issues and I certainly don’t use cutting edge equipment.

I have taken on board all suggestions, especially about the graphics card, or lack of one. Because this computer can’t really be altered much it looks as though I will have to invest in a new one. Not just for SketchUp, I have other programmes that would benefit too.
lrw65

1 Like

Hello everyone,
remember to check the box “use fast response” in the tab openGL preferably.
I had this problem of trainee at a time.
restart sketchup.
Bonjour a tous,
penser à cocher la case "utiliser le réponse rapide "dans l’onglet openGL de préférence.
j’au eu ce problème de traine à un moment.
redemarrer sketchup.
Dominique

Hi all,
I recently ordered a new computer from a local shop to be built to my specs.
Ryzen 5, 16Gb ram, Nvidia graphics card (I forget which) with 4Gb ram, 500Gb SSD. I only said yes to going ahead with the build because I believed that my installation of windows 10 v1903 had become stable since I discovered a conflict with another programme. I was wrong about the stability and contacted the shop to see if they could install an earlier version of win 10 that wouldn’t insist on upgrading itself, or better still, windows 7 or 8 that wouldn’t even try to upgrade. He couldn’t do that so I cancelled the order. No way I was going to spend £650 on a computer that might crash as much as this one does. I have now bought a used Dell with Intel i5 4th gen, 16Gb DDR3 ram, Gtx 750ti card with 4Gb ram and a 2 terabyte HD. I mean, two terabytes! What am I meant to do with that lot? I can’t even fill 240Mb on this computer. Anyway, SketchUp 2017 now runs perfectly. There are none of the delays mentioned in my post above. The ‘new’ computer is running windows 7 64 bit. It can be upgraded to 10 at anytime.
My thanks to all who replied, I took every suggestion on board and tried them all.
lrw65 who is now lrw66 and feeling it!

1 Like

Good to hear that you are back up and running. Best of luck to you going forward :slight_smile: