SketchUp 2026.2.243 crashes when dragging and dropping a JPEG — File > Import works

I can consistently reproduce a crash when dragging and dropping a JPEG into SketchUp 2026.

I tested the exact same JPEG in a brand-new blank model.

File > Import > JPEG: Works correctly with no crash.

Drag and drop the exact same JPEG from Windows File Explorer into SketchUp: SketchUp immediately crashes and produces a BugSplat.

I have reproduced this more than once.

I also tested using the Classic Graphics Engine. File > Import works correctly, but drag-and-drop still causes the crash. Therefore, the drag-and-drop crash does not appear to be limited to the new graphics engine.

System:
SketchUp 2026 Version 26.2.243 64-bit
Windows 11
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 Ti

BugSplat reports:
#508180 — original image/texture crash
#508206 — controlled reproduction of the drag-and-drop JPEG crash

Crash #508206 was generated specifically while reproducing the problem with the same JPEG that successfully imports through File > Import.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this in 26.2.243? Could someone from the SketchUp team please check these BugSplat reports?

I’ve tested this a few times and had no trouble in SketchUp 2026 and Windows 11 on my installation.

Maybe you could share the image so we can see if it might have something to do with the specific file.

Please update your forum profile.

Thanks, Dave. Attached is the exact JPEG I’ve been testing with.

On my system, this file imports normally using File > Import, but dragging and dropping this same file into SketchUp consistently produces the BugSplat.

I checked the bugsplat you sent in, and very few people have had the same crash. Your JPEG drags in ok on my Mac.

Your image drags in just fine on my machine. No crashes.

It looks like an image you’d want to use as a texture. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t choose to drag it in. Instead I would draw a square the size the texture image is supposed to cover as a material and then use File>Import and select Use Image as Texture. Then apply it to the face of the rectangle making it a texture that is correctly sized with no further manipulation required.
texture

Is there anything that identifies what might be the culprit?

Thanks a bunch. I always used to drag n drop (lazy) with no negative side effects. I guess I’ll have to import… i appreciate the feedback

regards

Marty

I’m not saying that drag and drop shouldn’t work but it seems like more work for creating textures.

Please update your forum profile so it makes sense.