Sketchup 2024 Keeps Crashing

In Sketchup 2023 my Model never crashed. After the upgrade, it keeps crashing. Is this happening to anyone else?

2 Likes

yes! what is happening!!??

1 Like

Here also!

1 Like

Warehouse does not open and sometimes it crashes when trying to open.

All 4 of you are saying you have a problem but chances that it’s the same are slim.

And you’re not giving any info beyond the « it’s crashing »

I’d advise looking around first, there are threads about crashes with lots of details, you might find one about your specific case.

And if not, start your own thread giving all the details you can. What engine did you choose, what is your anti aliasing, dif you update gpu drivers, do you get bugsplats or not, what is the %of zoom of windows, how many screens, if the warehouse doens’t work, do you have a vpn, does it work in a browser…

But again, in your own thread (or one about your exact situation)

Because right now, you’re at the doc, all 4 saying « I’m sick, me too! » but without info, who knows?

(Sipform, this is your thread. The other, if sipfrom’s symptoms are the same are yours, stay, if not, start your own thread)

« My car won’t go »

Does it start ? Does it have petrol, a battery, does the dashboard light up, does it start then stall, does it make a noise, the engine, or just a buzz…

The more info, the quicker and more precise the answer. Especially since we don’t have access to your machines… :slight_smile:

You’re obviously right, still…my answer after having the same problems :slight_smile:
My resellers technical support helped me out with the explanation that SU24 is build in a complete different way. I got bugsplashes all the time, because I downloaded extensions that are not compatible with SU24. I always did so with my favourites (also in SU22, I skipped 23), if it worked, it worked. But now in SU24 it gave me bugsplashes all the time… Uncompatible extensions removed, problem solved (and returned to nice old and comfy SU22). Pity for the ‘ambient occlusion’ though…

2 Likes

I have checked all of your email addresses, and couldn’t find any bugsplats. Did any of you get a bugsplat, and then send it in? If you do that, make sure to include your details so that I can then find the one you sent in. After sending in a bugsplat a browser window should open, and when it finishes loading it will show the bugsplat number. That number would let me go to the one you sent in, even if you didn’t enter your details.

|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB|
|Device ID|7DF6E73F-69A9-4F78-B456-47081EB6717B|
|Product ID|00330-50000-00000-AAOEM|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Pen and touch|No pen or touch input is available for this display|

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎28/‎08/‎2023
OS build 22631.3527
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1003.0

My device manager is up to date. Zoom is default, and three screens.

Whenever I opened the Model in 2024 it crashed when I made a minor change. Any idea of what might’ve caused the problem? I’m using allot of components.

I am crashing all the time in Layout and SketchUp 2024 as well. It seems to be for random reasons, like moving an object. It also gets stuck when updating the model in layout. I did send all the crashes in. I turned off all the non-native extensions and had similar issues.

In general, it has felt much faster.

1 Like

Hello Colin,

It may have been sent from a different email address. Can you check the following address? Thank you in advance, greetings Jan DC.

I edited your email address to make it harder for bots to get it from your post.

I did find the bugsplat under that email address. Do you get a crash every time you reload that 6MB file? Does it crash reloading into any model, or only the 422 MB model?

I found the 23 bugsplats you sent in, thanks.

When SketchUp or LayOut is apparently locked up, can you close the document, doing a save as you do that?

We are looking into issues where the SketchUp view stops updating, though so far that has all been on M3 Macs. Yours is an i7 Intel Mac. I will add a link to the bug report so the developer looking into the issue can see your bugsplats.

I can only force quit it when it gets stuck. Currently, it is taking forever or not exporting. 45 min in on Layout and still hasn’t exported. This usually takes some time, but a few minutes at most. When updating the linked model in LayOut, it takes about 30-45 min to update, but it does eventually do it.

I switched back to 2023 last night, and it still took a long time. My site model is 200+ MB, which is a big one for me, so that is part of the problem. Maybe I could do some cleanup, but I do kind of need most of it in there. All the groups and components are mostly low poly, including the plants, which are 2D pngs.

FYI, I am 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 intel mac.
Is there or should there be a section for our CPU on our profile?

The taking a long time to export from LayOut may well be due to the Document Stup, Rendering option, Output Override. In 2023.0 that was set to on by default, and if you worked on a document and saved it, it would still be on. Open your document and see if you can uncheck that, then try an export.

Trying that now. However, I do ideally want it exported as hybrid, especially for the plans and sections.

I am trying to export in 2023 and that is having trouble too. Maybe it’s all just my file. I am exporting page by page, so far so good.

You would want to set the viewports you need as hybrid, on the pages they appear on. Then the export doesn’t have to do the converting of all viewports. It may take some time to change the viewports to hybrid on every page, but at least you could do a save after each one, and not have to wait for the conversion each time.

Typically, the working time is the critical factor and the export time is not a big deal as I can set it and go do something else. But I have turned that off and changed the ones needed. FYI, I have the new graphics engine off.

It was the hybrid mode. A raster export for a page is taking 10 - 30 sec per page. The hybrid site section took 15 min.