SketchUp 2023 Low Resolution of Tool Icons on a 4k Monitor!

The new update was only security changes, and so no bugs fixed. The Hi-DPI issues are being worked on by a few people, trying different approaches. It may still be some time until they settle on the best option. See if what I said about opening SketchUp on the HiDPI monitor gives you icons that look ok.

1 Like

There are no updates for a month.
Is there any news on working on fixing a bug with scaling GUI icons in 4K resolution?

As said previously, fixes and testing involving 3rd party libraires take more time [than a mere maintenance release.]

If you examine the SketchUp release history, you will see that about this time of year they usually put their time and effort into a minor update (the 2nd number in the version number scheme.) Minor updates usually have come with new features as well as fixes, and again these kinds of update cycles also take more time than a mere maintenance or security update.

Also, as said above, someone from the team will post a notice in this topic thread when it is the appropriate time.
Since you started this topic, you will likely automatically be watching it and will receive a notification.

Colin had asked you a question which you have not yet answered …

He was referring to this previous suggestion …

I do not work on the second HiDPI monitor, I have the only working 4K monitor that has not changed after installing the new version of Sketchup 2023.
As I described this problem earlier, the problem is observed only with the new version of Sketchup 2023.
Under the same conditions of the Windows 11 environment with 150% scaling and 32-inch 4K monitor hardware, there were no problems with icons in any of the previous versions of Sketchup until the 2023 version.
Thanks for the reply. I have no choice but to wait for the bug to be fixed. Hopefully not for very long.

Okay, thank you for answering the question.

Perhaps you had not heard … it has been discussed in other threads that v23 has migrated to using the Qt framework for the UI. All previous versions used the now 31 year old MFC libraries.

So, we believe you as there are other known GUI bugs that made it into this version.

Part of the work to solve the problem has been done, and other parts are still being worked on. One thing we already have set up is a testing plan, so that when all of the fixes are in place we can test that they do work for all of the configurations we know that show the problem.

So far though, we’ve only seen issues when there is more than one monitor, and you may be decribing a setup we haven’t allowed for. So, to be sure about your setup:

Are you using a desktop PC, that only has a single monitor connected to it?

1 Like

Well, I myself had been putting off getting a UHD display for too long. Best Buy had a Samsung 28" display on sale, so I just ran up there and snagged one of the few they had left.

Before this, my external display was a FHD 25" HP and I ran SketchUp at 100% scaling and 4x AA.

After starting up with the new UHD display, and setting the resolution to UHD (3840x2160), SketchUp had switched to 8x Anti Aliasing. The toolbar icons look fine. I do not see the pixelization as shown in the 1st post. I even switched SketchUp back to 4x. Still the icons look fine. (I even examined them through a very strong magnifying glass.)

They did not have the DisplayPort cable I needed, so for now I’m going with HDMI.

Win 10 | MSi GP63 Leopard 8RE | 16GB RAM | Nvidia GTX-1060 6GB

Yes I use a desktop PC to which one UHD monitor is connected (model Acer 32" XB321HK).

Thanks, I’ll make sure that combination is tested.

4 months have passed since the bug was detected, and there are zero results. The developers don’t want to fix this bug and they don’t care about customer complaints. Apparently, the icons low resolution will not be fixed. Sadly. It’s better to close this dead branch.

Seems like Sketchup 2023 Mac version also lost it’s small icons option when customising the Toolbar. In my 2022 pro I can choose “Use small size” icons, but that option has vanished in 2023 version.

I installed a new version 2023.1.329.111of the Sketchup with new added icons in the hope that the developers have fixed the display of tool icons on the 4K monitors with 150% scale in the Windows 11 x64.
This is a paradox, everything is the same, the bug is not fixed. Moreover, the icons are displayed correct in the LayOut application. In the screenshot, I placed the Sketchup window next to the LayOut for comparison. It can be seen that the toolbars icons in the Sketchup are fuzzy and jagged.
Bravo, developers are strangers to user problems! It is clear that there is no point in waiting for the new versions of the Sketchup to fix this bug tools icons.

Except that these two applications are using different GUI frameworks.

I have a GTX1060 with an external 28" UHD at 150% scaling and I do not see the issue you show in the images on my machine.

What kind of cable are you connecting the display with?

1 Like

The problem is not in the cable, the cable has not changed in the last 5 years and there have never been problems with other CAD applications from Autodesk, for example.
My cable Club3D VESA Certified CAC-2068 DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.4/Hbr3 Cable DP 1.4 8K 60Hz

The previous version of sketchup 2022 displays high-resolution icons. The problem has appeared since the 2023 version, when the developers changed the GUI and broke the icons of the toolbox and cannot or do not want to fix the resolution of the icons until now.
Can you give a screenshot comparing how I have two programs? What diagonal is your UHD monitor 3840x2160, 150% zoom enabled, OS Windows 11?

I have a 4K display and have no issues here / this is clearly a software/OS thing.

Have you visited the windows high dpi settings, there is a windows setting specifically to solve blurry things.

My UHD diagonal is a Samsung 28" 3840x2160 res (recommended), 150% display scaling (recommended).

I am on Windows 10.

Here is SU 2022.0.1 and 2023.1.3 for comparison.

1 Like

Thank you for providing screenshots! I see you have no problems. But I noticed that your version of Sketchup 2023_Beta_test3 is different from mine. Can you share a link to download this version that you have installed? Thanks!

Believe me, I have tried all the options for Windows DPI settings. If I change the Windows DPI of the Sketchup 2023 executable file, the text and lines become more smoothed, but blurred. This is not a solution to the problem.

This is not a version, “Sketchup 2023_Beta_test3” is simply the name of a model file that I was using for some particular tests. (I don’t even remember now what exact build I was testing with that file. It is not important to the issue of display quality.)

I have the latest public release 2023.1.3 installed, which on MS Windows is build number 23.1.340, (23.1.341 on Mac.)

It is publicly available on SketchUp’s download all page …

Or, you can do the online Check for Update from SketchUp’s Help menu.

REF: SketchUp Desktop 2023.1.3 - Release Notes

1 Like

Can you post a DXdiag report here?

Open and run DxDiag.exe - Microsoft Support