SketchUp 2023 is available today!

I forgot to mention.
I’m a Mac user…
The 2022 is working fine.

1 Like

Yes, this a very non-ideal bug. For now the workaround is to create a new toolbar and drag or copy drag items into it. If you didn’t already know, you can copy a toolbar item by holding control while dragging it into another toolbar (when you are in the edit toolbar state).

But, this is definitely a bug, and a fix will be on the way.

2 Likes

Well…so far I am unimpressed…I was initially excited as the Revit importer would save me about $500 a year for my Revit Lt subscription. Just about all the architects I know use Revit so it kind of forces me to have it onhand to 3D dxf in the models…

Until I tried it…it is not finding any .rvt models so what the heck Trimble? The model is in my downloads as you can clearly see:

But when I try to import it in? There is no file to be found:

So far not impressed…

Your screenshot shows a .rfa (revit family) file, not a .rvt (revit model). Only models can be imported.

2 Likes

Well…that would explain it then…

Well, been messing around with it for the better part of a day. So far so good…Still have yet to find a rvt model to import…hope I don’t have to pay $500 a year to import a Revit Family model into RevitLT just to export a dxf model out and then into Sketchup…sigh…

A Revit Family is not a model. The nearest equivalent in SketchUp terms is a Live Component, it is a collection of instructions that make a model when the user inserts it into his project and defines values for all needed parameters. To bring a Revit Family into SketchUp you would have to bring Revit inside SketchUp.

2 Likes

If you use it just to import objects, there is an interesting alternative now with the capability to import TrimBim files.
It’s the fileformat that is used to view models in Trimble Connect 3D viewers (browser/desktop app/mobile)
One can download an IFC and view it in the desktop app and then export that view as a .trb (TrimBim)
One can import that in SketchUp or upload it to Trimble Creator to make it a startpoint for you own ‘Live Component’.

Many manufacturers also have those ifc files available, next to Revit families.

Trimble Connect for Desktop is a free available app and so is access to Trimble Creator (browser based)

3 Likes

The UI was changed in 2023. Unneeded wasted space on both the vertical and horizontal bars. The blank space between the top menu bar and the pages names should be added to the 3d screenspace. See pic for a vertical difference.Doesn’t seem much but it adds up if you have many icons of additional plugins on the bars.

7 Likes

Thank you sir for the explanation. Regardless if a Revit Family model is the only CAD file I can get from the manufacturer? Then it doesn’t help me with the “Revit Importer” feature. So I will still need Revit until I can figure out a work around. And no I can’t get any “IFC” files on the cad files I get from my manufacturers…I have yet to see one but I am still looking.

Interestingly the UI is using a new framework that allows for a bunch of more modern things (you can make the tray it’s own window now, allowing you to dock it anywhere on your screen/screen in the same way that you would any normal window)

It presumbly also supports higher resolutions and scaling beyond the 200% limit of the previous framework used.

I can’t get it to look the same as yours unless I set it to 100%, which previously had been the best option, but is typically too low for modern displays. Are you on 100%?

I suspected already something has changed in the UI. Also having problems with some of my plugins that won’t take focus until I toggle out of SketchUp and back again. Trying to create some test code so its easy to reproduce for the team.

In this case, I’m on my laptop today. Its 1920x1080 and in native rez. Windows 10 - up to date.

That makes sense, what is the scaling settings windows recommends for you?

Perhaps still some tweaks are needed for those types of displays.

Windows recommends 125% strange enough - is way too big.

i tried just dragging an .rfa file and it seemed to read it and decode it but then wanted me to sign up for the studio ($699) license versus my pro ($299) so i skipped it.

i have the same increased gaps etc. i set my system to use the Windows recommended values. it would be nice if the new “features” kept the same relative spacing rather than trying to enable other
“features” before the user has selected them…

Look here for the solution. Well a solution.

I suspect there are a couple of icons that aren’t scaling to that smaller size - the scene search button being one

Here a screendump from my desktop setup. Also at 100% and recommended settings so same problem. Would be nice if the long empty grey line between the top menu and pages names would be added to the 3d viewport again - visually not pleasant and waste of space.

It doesn’t happen at higher scales - there are a couple of icons that don’t appear to get small enough - such as that magnifying glass, that causes gaps to appear