Sketchup 2023 Crashing

Can someone fill me in on the difference between “create backup” and “autosave”?
I have lost work again and I thought that I had figured this out to protect from this happening

Create backup makes a copy of your previous save. So, say you start a model at 10am, save it for the first time at 11am, then make changes and save again at 12pm. There will be an SKP of your 12pm file, and an SKB of your 11am file.

Auto save is different. It saves a copy of your file, even if you have not saved recently. If you get a crash, you can open SketchUp, and in the welcome screen there may be a number of Recovered files. Those are files you were working on when a crash happened. They are all more recent than your last Save. You can choose whether to open the auto save file, or open your most recent Save file.

If I open the wrong autosave file do I lose all of my other autosave files? Is the autosave file the .skb file?

Both the backup skb and the autosave are only one version deep; they don’t keep a multi-version history. So there is no possibility to “open the wrong autosave file”. There will be at most only one for a given skp.

And no, the backup .skb and autosave are entirely separate. As @colin explained, the skb is created by renaming the existing skp before SketchUp saves a new version of the model on command. Autosaves are done at the time interval you specify, but each one overwrites any prior autosave for the model.

The frequent saving of your work is the best insurance against loss. The Windows shortcut is CTRL+S. It is a good habit to get into.

You could create additional backup files by publishing your model files to your Trimble Connect cloud stoarage in addition to saving them locally.

1 Like

Can someone create a plugin that detects which plug-in is crashing Sketchup 2023? I wish I had all of the time in the world to uninstall every plug-in and test until I find out what is causing the crash but I don’t. The same exact plug-ins work perfectly for 2022. If it is outdated plugins that are the problem make it so we cannot install outdated plugins.

Go into the extension manager and disable 1/2 of them and do some work. See if there is a crash, no crashes then disable the other 1/2. Disable 1/2 of the batch that causes the crashes at a time to narrow the cause. If there are no crashes post a model for examination of the work flow. It is up to the user to keep the extensions up to date

1 Like

Ill be honest I’ve had so many issues using SketchUp 2023 that I’ve gone back to 2022