SketchUp 2020 as the default application in Windows

Hello,

Has there been any progress made on the Setting SketchUp 2020 as the default application in Windows bug? There is a known problem where the Open With menu shows two entries for SketchUp 2019. The second of those is really SketchUp 2020. Same thing if you are in Properties setting the default application for SKP files. I just installed the latest version hoping that would solve it, but it didn’t work. I have restarted, I have uninstalled a couple old versions of the program… but nothing seems to work.

Hi Dave,

This is what it looks like when I try to set Sketchup 2020 as the default app for .skp files.

Try the last (look for an app in the Microsoft Store), It worked for some.

If you’re having the same issue that I did (and others) then this solved it for me:

The right-click menu is often almost sensible looking. It’s the sub menu Open With that tends to have repeats.

After some of my earlier suggestions I found that a more sure way to fix the problem was to go into Default Apps, choose Choose default apps by file type, then scroll how to .skp or .layout in the list. In the apps that you will see that can open that file type, choose the upper one. It may be a duplicate of SketchUp 2019 or earlier, but really it is SketchUp 2020.

Test to see if you picked the right one in the list by double clicking on a SketchUp file.

That worked for me. Thank you.

1 Like

After some of my earlier suggestions I found that a more sure way to fix the problem was to go into Default Apps, choose Choose default apps by file type, then scroll how to .skp or .layout in the list. In the apps that you will see that can open that file type, choose the upper one. It may be a duplicate of SketchUp 2019 or earlier, but really it is SketchUp 2020.

Test to see if you picked the right one in the list by double clicking on a SketchUp file.

Hi Colin, the above steps worked for me. Any update on a permanent solution for this issue?

1 Like

Yup that worked for me also. it’s been a thorn in my side for awhile. I also had to uninstall older versions of sketchup before the “duplicate 2019” showed up. Feel like the quality has been going down but the cost are going up.