Sketchup 2019 Pro file not found or invalid. Mac OS. Please help, desperate

Hi I worked on a file that was automatically saving to an online server.
My mac suddenly restarted after I successfully saved the file, and now I get an error saying file not found or is invalid when i tried to reopen it.
I worked on this the whole weekend for an office project and I need to submit it in 24 hours, so I’m quite devastated.
The file says its still 138.7mb so I’m sure there’s still data, but for some reason there’s no skb file for it.
Could someone please kindly help me figure out how to recover it? Google’s not much help with macs :frowning:

Here’s the wetransfer link to the file:

Thank you very much.

It is because of this kind of problem that it is recommended to always save SketchUp files to your local hard drive and transfer or sync them to cloud or network layer. @colin can sometimes recover parts of a broken file using internal tools at Trimble, but there is no guarantee.

Big chunks of the file is filled with zeros. I couldn’t recover anything in the scene, but the Component panel has a lot of components, and Material has a lot of materials. Hopefully those will be of some use.

Big mistake, it’s known that doing that could cause this kind of data loss. If you need to save it in an online server you should also save it in your machine’s internal storage. I hope you can do something with the file that Colin could recover.

1 Like

Yes, I did save to desktop initially but halfway through it would keep saying “File failed to save” and would only save if I saved to server. So I would do that and then copy the file to my desktop right after as there was no other way to save my file. In this case, it crashed right after saving. Risky move and I paid the price unfortunately. Thank you for your well wishes.

Thank you very much for helping me @colin
Unfortunately, looks like there’s nothing salvageable. I do still have a backup on desktop thankfully, that makes my loss amount to about 2 hrs of work. My file suddenly stopped saving internally (error: File failed to save) hence why I had to use the server, it was the only way to save.
I thank you once again, appreciate it.

Yes, I did save to desktop initially but halfway through it would keep saying “File failed to save” and would only save if I saved to server. So I would do that and then copy the file to my desktop right after as there was no other way to save my file. In this case, it crashed right after saving. Risky move and I paid the price unfortunately. Thank you for your well wishes.

If you had autosave enabled you could open sketchup on the home page appear the recovered files when sketchup crashes. Did you try that?

I did. No luck :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.