SketchUp 2019 Mac OS Catalina PDF black background

I’m having serious troubles since upgrade to Catalina. My imported PDF into Sketchup PRO 2019 are all black background, I really can’t work with them. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled several times and the results are the same.
Anyone knows something about this problem?

Thanks
GV

Which version of SketchUp 2019?

It looks like the PDF is coming in as a negative image. How was it created? Can you upload the PDF so we can have a look?

Please complete/update your profile with the current information.

Hi Dave.
I’m new to this forum so please tell how to upload the PDF.
Thanks

You can drag the file into the message window space or click on the Upload button (upward pointing arrow) at the top of the message window.

Ok. But to clarify this happens to any file, not only this PDF. I’ve attached a file to this post

IM05519 MARITIMA DOMINICANA CF35-Model.pdf (803.7 KB)

Please answer my other questions and update your profile.

The files are external references, so I don’t know how was created. But the ones I work with area created mostly by AutoCad or Sketchup itself.

We’ve been able to reproduce the issue and are investigating the problem.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be expecting news

Thanks Mark.

FWIW, This pdf hangs both Microsoft Word and Inkscape on Windows so this isn’t likely to be a Catalina problem. The ‘creator’ appears to be AutoCAD LT so you may wish to go back to the source software to find the problem.

<<  /Creator (AutoCAD LT 2018 \(23.0s \(XXX XXXX\)\)) /Title (Model) /Producer (pdfplot15.bundle 15.00.047.005) /CreationDate (D:20190906161318) /ModDate (D:20190906161318)
1 Like

Thanks a lot for your data, but no matter which program or app created the PDF, the problem is the same.

The aforementioned PDF file, IM05519 MARITIMA DOMINICANA CF35-Model.pdf] (803.7 KB) opens as expected with my reliable old version of Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.5

The same PDF file also opens as expected in Word MSO 2016.

Per @g_vicioso’s profile … Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
My guess is an aging GPU not up to the task.

Here’s a screenshot of the document properties as viewed with Acrobat:

The same PDF file also opens as expected in Inkscape 0.91

mea culpa, Geo is correct. Despite the file being only 800k bytes, it opened after many minutes of waiting in both Word and Inkscape 0.92. I’d never dream that a small pdf could be this sluggish.

Same issue here, with numerous PDFs.

If I open an older file things are OK, so it seems it is on import:

27" iMac
64g RAM
macOS 10.15.1 (19B88)

SketchUp Version 19.3.252

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 580X
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c0
ROM Revision: 113-D0008A-042
VBIOS Version: 113-D0008A1X-009
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.042

On my MacBook Pro 15" (2014) that is running SketchUp 19.2.221 and the same macOS it works fine…

For now I’ll have to import on the MacBook and Airdrop to the big machine…

Same thing here. I’m running Sketchup 2018 there is no problem importing PDFs. After that I open the file created in Sketchup 2019 and voila, PDFs ok.

Are you in running in dark mode?

I’ve been doing some testing, and it seems this issue came in with 2019.3. Also, it seems to me that the PDF doesn’t have a black background, but that the alpha channel of the PDF is being imported.

Opening the PDF in Preview and exporting as PNG would be one way around the problem for now. Importing the PDF into an older version and opening the SKP in 2019.3 also works. Importing with macOS Mojave and 2019.3 also works.

@sWilliams, would it amuse you to think some more about this issue? Like, is there a PDF parameter than Catalina is misrepresenting to SketchUp 2019.3?

1 Like

oops, posted in the wrong topic

I copied your pre-edit as a sneak peek to the solution for the other problem. Meanwhile, back in alphaville, any thoughts?