Sketchup 2019 - Crashes 1 minute after starting

Just purchased a new HP laptop and I seem to be running into an issue with Sketchup 2019. The issue is the program refuses to run more than 1 minute. It will crash regardless of use, I can open, minimize window, then 1 minute later the screen will typically flash black, and then Sketchup will close. No bug splat screen, not once. After searching the forums here is what I have tried:

• Reinstall/repair as administrator
  • Updated Nvidia driver
  • Made sure Nvidia is dedicating its High-Performance Processor to Sketchup
  • Turned off Fast Feedback in Sketchup
  • Computer has been reset multiple times

Funny enough, Sketchup 2018 runs without issue. I would be happy to use this version of the program, but unluckily I can’t seem to get my subscription to cover this previous versions. I do not have a license to type in. I feel like I am running out of options, and I don’t really want to use my 7 year old macbook pro to run 2019 (works like a charm on that machine)

Thank you,

Model: HP Spectra x360 15
Processor: Intel Core i7-8565U CPU @ 1.8GHz
RAM: 16 G
64-Bit OS

When you did the installation / repair did you RIGHT CLICK on the .exe file and choose run as administrator?

Yes, I tried reinstalling as administrator. I also tried repairing as administrator. Have been trying to also run the program as administrator. All by right clicking the program icon.

Have you tried a different download?

Yes, second download has produced the same results. Is there a current conflict issue people are aware of with the 2019 version of Sketchup?

None that I am aware of. Will SU run off the on-board graphics? If yes something is not right with the nvidia set up. I would be considering contacting HP about a possible graphics issue.

That might be a leaking memory? If you open the taskbar and choose the memory tab, do you see an increasing usage?

Update your nVidia GeForce drivers directly from the nVidia site.
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/150583

No increase in CPU at all while program was running. Though, there was a 100% spike of GPU usage at the moment of crash. Going to re-re-update my nVidia Driver now.

Drivers are all up to date. The issue still persists. I have noticed I run into a similar issue with Photoshop, only PS says graphic acceleration needs to be turned off instead of crashing. Not sure if this is just a running issue with a graphics card on these machines.

I reached out to Customer Service at GeForce. They suggested the following:
Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Go to Manage 3D settings–>>Global settings–>> Power management mode - Prefer Maximum Performance.

Since this one tweak, I have not had any issues with GPU spikes.

3 Likes

this should be the only option…:wink:

3 Likes