SketchUp 2018 starts, no welcome screen, have to right click and close to open application

I have SketchUp 2018 Pro and am migrating my setup from a desktop to a new laptop.

On the new laptop, SketchUp will launch, but the Welcome to SketchUp window never opens (it shows up as a white box in the thumbnail when I hover over the icon). When I right click to close the window, the application then launches.

I have followed the steps in this post: SketchUp 2018 won't launch no errors codes just doesn't launch properly

My drivers are up-to-date and the application has been repaired.

Any thoughts on other steps I could take?

Do you have Sketchup set to use the Radeon video? Are you using an external monitor?

Also when you installed SketchUp did you do it in the correct way ?
I see you say you repaired it, but how did you do that ??

You can Repair it ‘properly’ as follows… [it will not affect any installed Extensions etc]
When logged in to Windows as your normal user-account, ensure that SketchUp and Layout are closed.
Find the SketchUp installer’s exe file - usually in your Downloads folder ?
Select the installer’s exe file’s icon, right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”
When prompted choose “Repair”…
[For a new installation choose “Install” instead]
When it completes restart SketchUp and see if anything has changed…

Installing any complex app [like SketchUp] in any other way can cause all kinds of unexpected issues, often involving ‘permissions’ to read/write files etc…
So never double-click an installer’s exe file to “Run” it - it is not the same as doing it in the correct way - even if your normal user has admin-powers these are not the same !

Migrating makes me wonder if you have carried over existing settings. You may need to set up windows and such again, but deleting this file might help:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\SketchUp\PrivatePreferences.json

RLGL,

Not sure about the Radeon question. I am using external monitors, however. I unplugged my setup and opened SketchUp – the splash screen opened without any issue when just on the laptop screen.

Seems like we’re a step closer to the answer. Any thoughts on what I need to do?

Thanks!

Are you using a dock? If so do you have the latest driver for it installed? Some people have to open Sketchup on the laptop then move it to the external monitor. There should be a control panel for the Radeon drivers. I use Nvidia. Possibly to access them right click on the desktop and see what is on that menu.

It appears as the act of opening it on the laptop only, without the monitors connected, fixed it. I have since been able to open it with the monitors plugged in without issue.

One of those peculiarities, I suppose.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.