SketchUp 2016 - Working with imported DWG file

Hello there

I downloaded Sketchup 2016
I imported a very simple dwg file

I am trying to select a recangle with 2 circular shap on it and move it.
I group it
I selected all connections, surfaces by selecting the object from right to left ( dragging left mouse )
when i move the rectangle . the 2 circular holes left behind with another shape of the original rectangle .

i am wondering if my Sketchup version has import dwg limitation

Thank you very much in advance

Not likely.

Maybe you could upload the SKP file so we can see what you are seeing.

This is something I faced too when I first started with Sketchup. The main thing you should be aware is that sketchup doesn’t treat entities as CAD does so it breaks them in pieces at their intersections and merges edges. If you want some specific object to import as a whole thing into sketchup, you should turn it into a block in your CAD file. When you import it into sketchup it will become a component, will not merge with other objects and you will be able to move it as a single piece.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me

Attached my SKT file
I am trying to fold the wings 90 deg upwards to form an open top box

Kind regards
Nissimtemp cover SKT.skp (346.4 KB)

Thank you

Your advice helped me a lot

Thank you

Temporarily hide the group. You’ll see that the edges for the holes are still displayed. You didn’t get them into the selection before you made the group. You missed out a number of edges, too.

By the orientation of the group bounding box, it also appears either the axes had been shifted off plane or your model was when the group was created.

If it was made correctly the bounding box would be aligned with the geometry.

Before you go on with this model, you need to sort out some things. The long edge of that group is over 23 meters long but it looks like you’re trying to make it about 4mm thick. It looks like it is doubled, too.

There are broken edges, apparently unneeded edges and faces, the “circles” for the holes are not actually circles, and on and on.

There’s no point in going further with it until you’ve cleaned up what you’ve already got. How big is this thing supposed to be? How thick is the material?

From the looks of things, it would be easier to start from scratch. Throw away the DWG and just draw this in SketchUp directly. If you want a 3D model of it, just draw it in 3D. It would be easier to unfold the 3D box to flat if you need a flat version of it.

And why is Lisanne standing on her head?

Dear Dave

I appreciate very much your help.

I am puzzled why the dimensions after importing to Sketchup are way out.
I followed your advice and recreated the shape from scratch using Sketchup

• I have no problem doing just that .

I am very keen to understand what went wrong with my original dwg file
The dimension of the whole shape is 176x140mm
(not 23 metre)

I want to create 4mm thickness throughout the shape and fold the wings 90
deg

I am using Coreldraw x8 to create the file
Are any special requirements when exporting dwg from Coreldraw ?

I am wondering if you could please have a wee look at my original dwg file
and try to import it .

Thank you heaps
Nissim

Temp whole.dwg (21 KB)

I don’t know for sure but I expect the dimension thing has something to do with the way Coreldraw creates the DWG file or the units you selected before importing it into SketchUp.

I imported your newest file using millimeters for the units. It came in fairly close to your desired size. You could fix that to make it more accurate but there’s other issues. All of the edges are broken into short segments. I’ve shown one selected. They ought to be replaced with single edges. There are some edges that are doubled up. Take a close look at the diagonal one on the left.

Here’s a close up of the diagonal. The selected edge in the lower right corner is not co-linear with the rest.

In addition, all edges should be on Layer 0, not on Layer 1.

As I said before, if you want to show this as a 3D object, you’d be better off to just draw it as such instead of screwing around trying to fold up the model from flat.