SketchUp 2016 rotation issue

I just updated to Sketchup 2016 from 2015 and just updated the 3d space mouse and installed the plug-ins. Now I am unable to rotate around my objects with either the space mouse or the rotate button on sketchup’s toolbar. I uninstalled and reinstalled both; but it still would not work. Old files created under sketchup 2015 work just fine. I sent this issue to 3d connexion in case the problem is on their end; but it doesn’t appear to be since older models work.

try, something that seems un-necessary…

with SU v16 open…

open System Preferences, go to the 3Dconnexion >> Configure >> Sketchup and make some minor change then close…

retry in SU v16…

for some reason that helped here…

john

I appreciate the help; but that didn’t work. I am almost 100% sure it is a sketchup issue and not a 3d mouse issue; because even when I turn off the mouse, I can’t rotate to either side view using the orbit tool and my trackpad. As I said I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 16 and even ditching my original design and starting from scratch. Nothing helps. My next attempt is to try and go back to 15 since I know that worked.

there are known issues with 3dconnexion plugin for mac…

it works on El Capitan with SU v16 for me and use to work on Yosemite with SU v16 as well…

It will only work on v16 if it was installed after SU v16…

first thing to do is check if it’s loading into SU, by copy/pasting this code into ‘Ruby Console’ [found in the SU Window menu]

$".grep %r{^/L}

it should return this in the top part after you hit return…
[“/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin/Contents/MacOS/3DxSketchUp.bundle”, “/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin/Contents/Resources/3DxSketchUpExt.rb”]

if it’s not then you need to uninstall then reinstall the Plugin…

in all my years of using SU on various mac’s, I have never found it needing a reinstall for any reason…

john

Which probably means it probably can’t create those directories and works only if they’re already there (/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Plugins).

Ok…after showing my frustrations to a coworker, he asked me if it mattered what orientation the drawing was in. He isn’t familiar with sketchup. And I’m not sure if he even knew what he was asking. Haha. But it got me thinking. I had just recently started drawing every project lying down (on the green and red axises instead of the blue). Once I flipped my projects upright…problem solved. I’m still not sure why this is a problem for projects lying down; but I’m just happy I got it working! :grinning::+1:

It is important to draw things correctly according to the normal orientation of the axes. Blue is up and if you are looking at the front of something, the red axis should run across the screen. The standard views (Top, Front, Right, etc.) are based on that alignment as are shadows. And it’s a whole lot easier to manage placing the camera with the Orbit tool if you do.

One slightly quirky thing it pays to know: when you draw a face on any of the principal planes (red-green, red-blue, green-blue, that is, where the third coordinate is zero) SketchUp assumes you are subsequently going to pushpull it in the positive direction of the zero coordinate. In an effort to be helpful, it sets normal to the face pointing toward the negative direction of that coordinate. For example, the back side of a face drawn on the z=0 plane (red-green) shows when viewed from the positive blue/z direction. But this only happens when one of the coordinates is zero!