Sketchup 2016 and 2017 should I uninstall if I have Sketchup Pro 2018

Hello folks, I have SU 2016 and SU 2017 I had been using and now I have SU Pro. Should I uninstall SU 2016 and SU 2017?

I had the lag time issue with the select tool and did the fix and it was working yesterday, but now a little sketchy when I open certain files? Very frustrating. I was thinking maybe all these other editions of SU are screwing things up maybe?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Jay

There is no need to uninstall an old version to install the new one. Unless you are running out of hard drive space, I would say leave them running!

1 Like

hi, in addition, if it looks sketchy or blurry in 2018, I would check antialiasing settings in preferences, under OpenGL. Make sure it is not set to x0 but at least x4. Also if you’re used to not showing profiles when you work, installing a new version may have brought it back, go to styles and uncheck profiles.

Thank you Aaron! BTW love your tutorials on youtube! I do have a question regarding the select tool? I did the fix for this yesterday which was working good.

Then today I went to open a file I was working on and the select tool is barely working ARGH!!

Would it be better for me to just download a better graphic card or something so I dont have to deal with this? I am at the point where I will try anything!! :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing from you!!

Of course all this happened when I downloaded windows 10!!!

Thank you again!!

Jay

Unfortunately, I have had no direct experience with this issue (I’m a Mac guy). I will have to defer to the rest of our forum to help you out with that one!

If you mean ‘download a better graphics driver’ that might help, if you haven’t recently updated it.

I wish one could download ‘a better graphics card’. But yes, new hardware might well help - the general current recommendation seems to be one of the nVidia GeForce 10xx cards - say a 1050 or 1060 and make sure SU is using it.

Hi John, thank you. I am going to go this route with a new driver. How do I tell if SU is using a certain driver which would be the best tom install?

Thank you

Jay

Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Graphics Card Details will tell you which GPU SketchUp is using (along with the driver version).

once in a while you cant remeber that old useful plugin you may have installed on another version …i think i have V8 on my old machine still

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.