Shortcut keys are not working

I’ve been a Pro user for years and have become dependant on shortcut keys. I just downloaded SU 2017 pro but none of the shortcut keys are working. What is the fix?

None? Not even the default shortcuts such as P for Push/Pull and Spacebar for Select?

when you installed SketchUp 2017 did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator? Or did you just double click it and run it?

None, I’m afraid. Not ‘L’, ‘P’, ‘A’. None of them. Installing I right clicked on installer and chose Run

Installed incorrectly, then. Ttry installing again with right click and Run as administrator. Choose the Repair option when it comes up.

Do NOT select the installer’s exe icon and right-click > context-menu > “Run”.
You must choose "“Run as administrator”
Simply ‘running’ the installer or double-clicking its icon to launch it is NOT the same as installing it properly by the only proven, and thereby recommended method of choosing the correct context-menu item.
Having admin-powers, or even been logged in as the admin is NOT the same thing.

There are two steps:
Run as administrator > Repair

If that doesn’t work:

Run as administrator > Uninstall
then immediately:
Run as administrator > Install

Spacebar won’t even let me get to the select arrow.

How do I get to ‘Run as administrator’?

Is this after repairing the installation?!

No, I didn’t see your other reply before I sent that note

You need to Right Click on the downloaded .exe installation file and select Run as Admin from the context menu.

I had to uninstall then re-install. But now it’s working - all the shortcut keys, (or at least the ones I tried) are working. Thanks for your help.

Bill

FYI, It has been reported as an issue, that(on PC) the SketchUp 2017 model viewport does not have focus immediately after startup. This means the shortcuts do not work, as it is expected you are in an inspector panel or a webdialog, etc.

Simply clicking in empty space within the model viewport will make shortcuts available.
(This is new and unexpected behavior.)

The same occurs on Mac. It seems that where the focus lands depends in some arcane way on what inspectors open by default.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s to do with the Extensions Updates Notifier that usually opens right at start up, stealing focus from the main window / trays…

I’ve not seen anything like this appear after startup on SU2017, … yet.

So it is just happening for a normal startup, with nothing but the default “distro” plugins installed.

No, for me it also happens with my normal suite of extensions installed. And, for example, does not happen when I have only Entity Info and Layers inspectors open by default, but happens every time if those two plus Outliner are open. I suspect it has something to do with how the inspector windows are initialized during startup, in which case it could be different on Windows vs Mac due to lack of the tray system on Mac.