Sharing Models With Customers via Trimble Connect

Quote from Box on the SketchUcation forum

Blockquote
There are various Trimble Connect sharing options available now.
Probably the simplest option for you would be to upload your model to the web version and then use the ‘Share’ option that has recently been added.
It will give you a link that you can sent to clients that allows them to view and orbit around the model, with no editing and nothing to download.
Here I created a model with 3 scenes for you to check out what the result would be if you sent it to a client.
SketchUp

There are various Trimble Connect sharing options available now.
Probably the simplest option for you would be to upload your model to the web version and then use the ‘Share’ option that has recently been added.
It will give you a link that you can sent to clients that allows them to view and orbit around the model, with no editing and nothing to download.

Here I created a model with 3 scenes for you to check out what the result would be if you sent it to a client.

I have tried to find out how this is done but none of the information I have found has told/shown me (at least as I understand it).

Ok, I made a mess of this.

On the Sketchucation forum you get to see a SU model on a web page that allows you to view, pan, rotate, and scale the model and each of its 3 scenes.

I have to learn how to do a better job of copying information from one forum to another. :slight_smile:

Take a look at the TC User guide here…

I did see that but how did Box share the link with anyone viewing the forum thread on Sketchucation? That is not linked to any email addresses.

Right now my laptop died so I cannot try any of this stuff for myself. I am trying to learn how this all works. Box says that it only works for 2021 and prior.

BTW, my SU license is 2020 Classic so I might not be able to do this anyway. Again, just trying to learn. I am retired but like to understand this stuff and how it works.

If you open your model on SketchUp for Web, there is a live collaboration tool.
Your Classic 2020 license does not include this, but everyone has access to Sketchup for Web, you would have to sign in with an email address. You could open the model directly in SU for Web, or store it on TC, and open in in SU for Web from there.

Thanks - this is the type of information is was trying to find. Does this mean that if the file was on DropBox or iCloud or some other shareable location that it could be shared with this method?

If so, this might be an incentive for using SketchUp Web. :wink:

The model needs to be open in SU for Web - that model can be accessed via TC or your desktop.
The link can then be shared - it’s a view-only link.

If you want to share an entire model, there is a free desktop viewer as well.

View only was the goal. :wink:

@ntxdave If you are going to quote me Please quote me correctly, I have never said anything like this.

1 Like

Open a model in the Web Browser.
Use the Share function.
Copy the link.
Send or paste the link.
2023-01-24_11h09_12

I apologize for my mistake. I respect your knowledge and what you contribute to the SketchUp community.

What you brought to light with this topic is really worthy of everyone knowing. I am not sure what I thought I read but will go back and read again. Edit I did go back and read the thread/post again. I do not know where the heck I came up with that stupid comment. There was nothing even close to that.

Again, I APOLOGIZE!

Also thanks for the video showing how it works.

Box as it turns out, I was making a reference to Fredo6’s FredoSketch plugin and even then, I think I misquoted.

Again, I APOLOGIZE I feel really bad and am truly embarrassed.

I don’t remember commenting on Fredosketch.
Anyway, it’s no biggy, just be sure when you quote anyone that you are accurate.

No, you did not comment on FredoSketch, it was his comment that I stupidly quoted. I must learn to be more careful, especially if I “quote” something.

There is no way to express how embarrassed I am.

BTW if you look at the thread about sharing a model back over on SketchUcation. I have another question/comment that I think you might find interesting. It has to do with sharing a model and PowerPoint. :slight_smile:

Thanks Dave, I have seen some similar videos. However, embedding the model in PPT (or other Office applications) does not allow you to interact with the model during your presentation. Yes PPT does provide some animation things but kind of limited.

With the method Box showed earlier in this thread, you have full access to the model and can rotate, pan, zoom and view multiple scenes via the web viewer. Now what I have been exploring is the ability to insert the web browser capabilities in PPT. This would allow you to use the normal text capability of PPT along with the full viewer capabilities. Pretty strong combination of capabilities IMO.

Just wish my laptop had not died so I could go exploring the options.

Trimble has a new product “GO” designed for real-time colabration between stakeholders. For commercial users “GO” is subscription based for $119/year. Sketchup “Studio” is a another product with the same feature and includes rendering for $699/year.