New Labs feature: Link sharing in SketchUp for Web

Update Sep 15: This feature is now available in both SketchUp for Web and SketchUp for iPad (version 6.1+).

Today, we’re excited to preview a new feature in SketchUp for Web — link sharing!

Link sharing is simple: generate a link to your model and share it with clients and collaborators.

The feature is available to try out in our new testing environment, labs.sketchup.com. Log in with your Trimble account, open a model, and click the new share icon in the Homebar. Then just flip the switch in the share dialog to generate a link to your model.

Anyone who receives that link will be able to open a ‘view-only’ version of your model (no sign in required!). In this simplified web view, your collaborators will be able to navigate around your model, turn on shadows, and view any scenes you’ve set up.

Best of all, any updates you make will be automatically available to the viewer once you save your model. Collaborators will even be alerted to new changes if they already have the model open.

We hope sharing your beautiful 3D designs will be a lot easier now. Give link sharing a spin and please let us know what you think.

Please note: Link sharing is in Labs, so links you generate can break as we make changes to this feature. We will update the forum if this is the case.

Happy sketching and sharing!

7 Likes

Love this!!
Very waiting for it to be embed in SketchUp apps!

2 Likes

It will probably prompt you to upload it to Trimble Connect, from there, open it in the webbased modele and then you are able to share as well…

3 Likes

You got it, Mike. That’s how it’ll work in v1 for the desktop and mobile versions of SketchUp.

Is there going to be support for mobile devices? I have tested it on my iPhone and iPad and the Orbit tool does not work with finger swipes. Pinch and Zoom works, but two finger pan or single finger orbit does not.

Here is the link to the iPad version topic.

Short answer is they’re still working on it, but yes it is in the plans to have the iPad supported.

1 Like

Thank you!

Some feedback: online Viewer needs measurements, select and entity info tools enabled

1 Like

Will you be needing at least a Go Subscription for this feature or also available in SketchUp Free?

SketchUp Free (web)

1 Like

Is Link sharing enabled in SketchUp for Schools, I seem to be having trouble getting it to function.

Any tips

I tried, and it seems not to be a feature. Possibly because the feature relies on Trimble Connect, and with SketchUp for Schools you’re using Google Drive or One Drive.

Any way of changing that, I’ve signed up to Trimble as well. Can I link them, noticed in my Trimble account it showed no products, expected to see SketchUp there.

So sounds like can’t do. What’s the best way to share files from SketchUp for Schools, wanting to allow students to do little projects like sketching up a model and being able to send to say their parents or another stakeholder (schools love that word) as part of a design experience.

If you sign into here:

https://ecom-prd.trimblepaas.com/account/organization

you should see an account that is named after your email address from the look of it. That should show SketchUp Free.

For sharing with SketchUp for Schools, you’re saving files to Google Drive, you can send a regular Google Drive sharing link.

Link sharing is not currently available in SketchUp for Schools as it does require Trimble Connect. To support educational use requirements and storage systems, SketchUp for Schools relies on Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive for file storage rather than Trimble Connect, meaning that your Schools account will not show as being linked under your Trimble Account Management Portal.

You can share files as you would with any other projects saved in Drive, and SketchUp for Schools uses the skp file format common across all versions of SketchUp. If another stakeholder wanted to view a student file, they could use SketchUp Free, or any other version of SketchUp to do so by opening the downloaded project file.
With a Trimble ID, you also have option to make use of the sharing function within 3D Warehouse. This allows users to generate a quick share URL that will open a model in either SketchUp for Schools or SketchUp Web (including both Free and our paid Go offering). I’ve included screenshots below showing where that feature is located within 3D Warehouse when looking at a model.

3D Warehouse Model Viewer - Sharing Option

3D Warehouse Quick Share URLs

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding the link sharing feature! It’s always helpful for us to hear more about our user’s regular workflows.