Shadow Settings

Sometimes the shadow settings on the sliders on the drawing do not match the sliders on the ‘Shadows’ panel on the Default Tray, and the shadow settings that can be adjusted by the up-down arrows in the tray don’t match the sliders. Am I doing something wrong?

I’ve never seen this but it’s been years since I’ve bothered with the Shadows toolbar. I only use the Shadows panel in the tray since it has all the controls. I’ve just tested it and they seem to remain in sync for me. Can you share a model where they don’t match?

I stated the issue incorrectly. The sliders seem to correlate, but I am confused on what sets the maximum time on the sliders, and how the up-down arrows relate to the sliders. In the image below for instance, the up-down box says 9:40, but the slider only goes to 7:34. Is this just the nature of the beast?

The maximum times on the slider are sunrise and sunset for the given location and selected time of year. I am on a mac, so I do not have the arrows up or down next to the input fields, but the behavior is the same. I can manually input times before sunrise or after sunset but my model will be in the dark. At 9:40 pm there are no shadows, nor at midnight, it will look the same (all dark) if you enter 7:36 pm as 7:34 is the last sun on 11/23. The slider only covers the period of daylight.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I am still having shadow slider issues. Somehow on one of my models my UTC setting changed to UTC+10:00, whereas I am in UTC-5:00. When I changed the slider back to today’s date (3/7) in UTC-5:00, the slider shows sunrise at 03:47 am and sunset at 03:15pm, and my model is in darkness until I get to the sunset setting?!?. Any suggestions please, other than copy clipping everything into a new file?

I am using SketchUp 2021. Thank you.

Check to see how you have your model geo-located. Do the lat/long values match your location?

Please complete your profile with SketchUp version, operating system, and graphics card model.

Thank you. I was set to Australia!

Where do you complete the profile?

The geo-location was set to Australia? Where should it have been.

Click on the P in the green circle at the upper right corner of the forum window. Then on the person icon underneath.