Scenes Disappear when I modify my model

Not sure if this is a bug in Sketchup or my model.

I have a fairly complicated model that I created in a previous version and now I have 2022. I need to make some changes and as soon as I make a change my scenes literally disappear.

While looking at my “site plan”, I turn off the visibility of a single group and the viewport is empty. I turn the visibility on again and the scene is still empty.

I notice that, when in the scene and viewing it, if I tilt teh model (it is in parallel projection) and the scene also goes blank. But if change it to perspective view, it comes back.

Either I am missing something or there is a bug. Very frustrating as I need to modify this scene to produce a delta for an ongoing project, under construction.

It would help us help you if you share the SketchUp file.

What version of SketchUp are you using? Please complete your profile.

Sorry, Version 2022. Max file size is 16MG, how do I upload a larger file or downsize this one? (59M)

Upload it to Drop Box or Google Drive and share the link.

As I step through your scenes I don’t see any issues with the model disappearing however I see incorrect tag usage…
Screenshot - 4_19_2022 , 7_03_26 PM

…and a lot of unused stuff.
Screenshot - 4_19_2022 , 7_06_04 PM

After correcting the tag usage. selecting Perspective and then Parallel Projection seems to fix things. See if this looks better.

Couple of layers are acting funny but the problem seems to be fixed. How do you purge those things in the model to keep it clean?

You can use Window>Model Info>Statistics>Purge All. I used a plugin by TIG to do the same thing so I could show the report.

1 Like

“Purge unused”. Is that a good habit to get into, to clean up the model every so often?

How about “fix problems”?

Absolutely!

What problems? Incorrect tagusage? Default Tag from TIG at Sketchucation will take care of the incorrect tag usuage.

2 Likes

So I went back to the original file and “purge unused” and the problem is still there.

“Fix Problems” finds no problems.

So this did not fix the problem. Your utility must have done something else.

I also went though and corrected the scenes by switching from Parallel Projection and back and again and updating the scenes.

That does change the layout of the scene, so it effects all of my layout drawings, where I have to manually have to relocate them in Layout

What do you mean by that?

Just changing the camera back and forth makes the scene larger and moves it in the window slightly. THen in Layout when you import the scene it changes the location in Layout. Not the scale (if I have a scale that is set which is almost always the case). I then have to relocate the scene in layout, which may be multiple layers that have to be relocated.

Upload the LayOut file.

I can’t see any ossues in the LayOut file. The viewports all seem to behave.

The key is to set up the scenes correctly before you go to LayOut.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

I went into my original file and ONLY did the TIG fault Geometry and I lost all my scenes. If I do like you did and go through each scene and change the camera from Parallel to perspective and back, it returns.

but all the layers are on for each scene.

But what a pain. what is causing this? any idea?

I think the main problem is incorrect tag usage from the beginning. If you had been using tags correctly–ALL edges and faces untagged–you wouldn’t have had the problems at all.